RM250 growling engine noise varries w/RPM. Unaffected by clutch pull.

I've searched every thread with the word "noise" in the KTM, Suz, Yam, Honda, and Kawi forums, and I haven't found anything like this.

I've had my 03 RM250 for 6 years, and a few rides ago it started making a noise that I can only describe as a growl, which changed in tone and intensity with the engine RPMs and is unaffected by the clutch pull or neutral. I've been criticized for characterizing the noise as a growl, so hopefully soon I can post a video with sound that will be evident.

I inspected the clutch, which is in decent shape. I may replace it for good measure but as I said the noise in NOT affected by clutch pull. The only thing interested as that the basket has a very slight play but it would be in the 1000th of inches.

It has a Gorr big bore kit with a 2 season-old top end. The economy is killing me, so I am reluctant to replace the top end just as an experiment, but lots of friends say that's where they'd start. Although I've never heard of a piston or rings making unusual noise other than a seizure or slap.

I haven't found any broken motor mounts, loose skid plate, loose kick-starter, or pipe vibration.

Could it be... reeds, crank or rod bearing, piston or piston, power valve, etc.?

Edited by gorebkt

im going to take a stab at it. but i had an rm 125 that did that and my magneto nut had came loose allowing play back and forth producing a nasty growling noise...take a peek at that..your problem may be solved by thightening of a nut....

My guess is the growling is the need for a top-end + wp bearing and pay close attention to the cylinder walls condition. Also check muffler packing, reeds, clean carb...thats a good start. Im speaking from personal experience not from being a "inexperienced forum mechanic know it all" lol.

Though "growling" is a pretty vague symptom/description...

• 9 months later...