kdx 200 vs kdx 250

hey i have recently decided to stay away from a cr 500 because i figured it would be to much power for where i ride. i am now considering putting a kdx 200 motor in an aluminum frame cr 125. i was wondering what the power difference would be between a 200 and 250 also how good is the reliability of each motor. i can weld and fabricate things so i am not worried really about that but which will be harder just to know. as of now i have an 01 husqvarna cr 125, how will these engines compare to the 125's. i will be puting it on the road and riding mostly trails. thanks:ride:

The 200 and 250 are completely different animals. If you want to use a 125 frame, forget the 250, it's essentially a KX250 engine and doesn't easily fit in a 125 frame.

The KDX250 is in a different league than the 200 power-wise. Much more power and torque everywhere once correctly uncorked and tuned.

I'd go with the KDX200 motor in the 125 frame. That'll be a nice ride.

If you were thinking KDX250 motor I'd be worried about finding a decent one and getting parts for it. I could be wrong, but that motor has been out of production for quite a while.

If you were thinking KX250 motor, I'd skip the CR125 frame and just go with the KX250 motorcycle.

I'd go with the KDX200 motor in the 125 frame. That'll be a nice ride.

If you were thinking KDX250 motor I'd be worried about finding a decent one and getting parts for it. I could be wrong, but that motor has been out of production for quite a while.

If you were thinking KX250 motor, I'd skip the CR125 frame and just go with the KX250 motorcycle.

The KDX250 engine has been out of production since 1994, but parts are readily available because most parts are actually KX250 parts. The flywheel and ignition (KDX250 was an outer-rotor design with a different spark map), and the tranny ratios are the only truly proprietary parts (wide ratio), the rest are simply adapted parts. The cylinder and head are '89 KX250 parts with modified porting and reduced compression. The piston is straight from the '90 KX250, as is the crank and rod. The carb is the same 36mm the KDX200 uses, with different jetting. Cases, water pump, tranny shafts, bearings, etc are all straight from the KX250 parts bins. Parts availability wouldn't be an issue for the engine. Body parts are a different story though, as most of them were OEM only and some, like the plastics, are no longer available.

I like the KDX 200 motor, It just has a low end pull that for some reason just puts a big smile on my face, hell I have one right now just talking about it. Maybe its just me and my fascination with KDXs relatively, but the 200 is where my finger is pointed all day long. I dont care about torque, and I dont care about displacement, I care about the pipe and that thing hits like Kimpbo Slice! If I do a KXD project of my own one day, Ill certainly use a pimped out, fully raced out 200 motor, not a 220! EEWWWWWW!!!!!