Will Removing Emissions canister Give HP Gains?

If I remove the emissions canister, then pint sized black plastic canister that sits in front of the brake pedal, will I have any more power or notice any performance difference at all? I have a stock '09 TE 250 with around 300 miles or so on it and I'm curious if that will improve the bike at all. I get a popping and bubbling noise when I ride at easy cruising speed in mid RPM's and I was REALLY wondering if taking that off would help. The air filter has already been switched with the power up kit one and the rev limiter has been taken off. The O2 sensor and catalyst are still intact until I fully have the engine broken in. Any ideas what removing the canister will do other than cosmetic?

http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2265&highlight=canister

I'd take it off. Either now or when you do the lambda and cat removal.

Where you see a brass plug in the cylinder, "Use 5X10 .80 threaded bolt red loctite it in." instead. If the cover and clamp blow off you'll have a vacuum leak.

Edited by glangston

If I remove the emissions canister, then pint sized black plastic canister that sits in front of the brake pedal, will I have any more power or notice any performance difference at all?

Honestly- it really is not going to effect power much- Though it can cause an air leak to the intake- creating a lean condition. Partially it is a controled air leak in an of itself. The main reason to take it off- if one did in an EPA controlled state- would be because it gets in the way and would get ripped off the bike by logs trees and rocks.

The air filter has already been switched with the power up kit one and the rev limiter has been taken off. The O2 sensor and catalyst are still intact until I fully have the engine broken in. Any ideas what removing the canister will do other than cosmetic?

The bike in Standard Mode will have some lean decelleration popping- no big deal- It is making trims where it can for EPA/ fuel ecomomy (this is normal). Also, once you go to PU mode you'll see that hesitation go away (ECU/ EFI is not thinking all the time making trims). In theory you could have your FB settings checked and tweaked if you are going to run it this way for a while and it could/will be a bit better. Once you do the PU mode these settings will not effect. So you'd see how it did and at that point if you found it lean or rich in areas you could have you CO settings adjusted.

I wore out the stock set of tires commuting and cruising to break it in, Every day every night. Haven't commuted or ridden like that since- I don't like riding unless I can get dirty. Waiting to do the PU mode is like what "honeymoons" used to be... GET SOME!!!­čśĆ

If I remove the emissions canister, then pint sized black plastic canister that sits in front of the brake pedal, will I have any more power or notice any performance difference at all? I have a stock '09 TE 250 with around 300 miles or so on it and I'm curious if that will improve the bike at all. I get a popping and bubbling noise when I ride at easy cruising speed in mid RPM's and I was REALLY wondering if taking that off would help. The air filter has already been switched with the power up kit one and the rev limiter has been taken off. The O2 sensor and catalyst are still intact until I fully have the engine broken in. Any ideas what removing the canister will do other than cosmetic?

It's not like a catalytic converter that restricts your exhaust. I doubt removal of the can will impact horsepower much unless it screws up the fuel injection mapping by altering sensor readings. I doubt that will be the case here though.

FWIW, if you block off the connections properly it shouldn't hurt anything to remove it. You will save some weight and it won't be in your way.