KX450F Suspension Linkages / Rear Tire to Fender Contact

Hello,

I have an '06 KX450F that I purchased used, and it came with a Pro Circuit link. I get some major contact between the rear tire and the fender. I'm tall enough that I don't need the bike to be lowered. From what I've read, Kawasaki changed their linkage in '07 to the same length as the PC '06 link. I just checked the parts diagram, and it appears they changed the "uni-trak suspension arm" too, as it has a different part number.

So, I have two questions. First, should I be worried about this tire to fender contact? From the reading I've done it seems like a little bit is normal, but this seems dangerously excessive. If so, should I upgrade to the '07 "shock arm" (is that the right term for this part?), or possibly go back to the '06 link? The amount of contact I see really bothers me. I really think I'd rather have that lost rear suspension travel back vs. the lower ride height.

So what do you guys think? If I find an '07 "shock arm" cheap enough, I might just give it a try.

Well, I found an '08 arm for $25, so I'll see how that compares. I should probably replace my bump stop too.

I'd still like to know what everybody's opinion is on the rear tire to fender contact. I could see it cause some major greif in certain situations, like through the whoops, or coming up short on a double, etc., where you might not want inadvertent braking action. Seems to me like you would want to limit the travel to prevent this from happening, but maybe its not a problem.

Anyone?

There should definatley not be major contact to the rear fender, but a few local pros I talk to say you want a little bit of tire mark on your rear fender because that means you are using all the travel in your rear shock. But it also depends on how it feels to you. Don't be afraid to mess with the clickers.

Hi Adynes

It doesn't sound too clever with the tire contact. I agree with what Chase says about bottoming. Its an indicator. Have you changed the shock spring at all? May be a bit light, or your sag may be too much, or comp too soft? Not sure what else really, Your shock isn't leaking or anything like that is it?

About the linkage arm.....I've got an '08, and have literally just fitted the Pro-Circuit Linkage arm to my bike this last week. I'll see if it does the trick with the turning of the bike. I also wonder if the linkage dropping the rear of the bike 1/2 inch means the sag is going to be less than 100mm? I'll see in a couple of weeks when i'm able to test it out!

Cheers

Brad