Saying Hi and asking for some help

Hi all. I am pretty new to dirt bikes coming from mountain bikes and mt bikes racing. I just got a 2003 WR250F April. I have little or no problems during the first couple months of ownership. Being my first bike I have dumped it a few time, but nothing major and mostly slow speed tip-overs.

CLIFF NOTES AT BOTTOM IF YOU DON'T FEEL LIKE READING THIS!

Well, this past saturday I was out for ride and I stalled it twice trying to get going on a steep hill. It fired right up after the first stall, but after the second it was a different story. The starter spun very freely, like it wasn't even spinning the engine. I stuffed it in gear, pulled in the clutch and went to roll down the hill and try to bump start it. It dragged the tire and then starter began spinning like it was turning the engine over. It still wouldn't start. I checked the fuel, the fuel lines, the plug wire, the vent tubes for the carb and all was fine. Still no starting, not even a cough. So, I pushed it out of the woods.

Once home I pulled the pull and inspected. The plug was nice and clean, but the seal and the hex part to put the wrench on was very corroded. It looked like the exhaust gases were blowing by the seal and corroding the crap out of the plug.

So, should I start with a new plug and making sure that the hot start lever is clean and working properly? It seemed like the hot start lever was working.

CLIFF NOTES:

Bike was running fine, I stalled it twice in a row.

It fired up fine the first time, not so on the second.

Fuel, fuel line, vent tubes, everything looked good, still no starting.

Try new plug? any other suggestions?

Thanks a lot for your help and I am glad to be here.

Matt

Hi Matt, and welcome. I don't have a technical reason for your spinning starter, I gotta kick my 03 YZF. However, my plug looked exactly like what you are describing the first time I changed mine too. I think the reason for the corosion is due to the deep well the plug sits in. I think mine was due to several washings etc. by the dealer and then just sitting with the water inside. There is a small hole on the right side of the cylinder which has been described as being there to allow excess water and crap to flow out. Well, I think that is the way water can make it's way in too. 🙂

I would assume there's a gear in the starter, maybe you busted the gear. I dont have one so i dont know, but just a guess.Call the dealer you bought it from, make them fix it. It shouldnt have broken already. Good luck.

Yeah your plug is fine, just a little water that got boiled in there, happens on mine all the time. You didn't say if you tried your kickstart or not. These bikes can sometimes get cranky to start, even if everything is set up perfectly, they can get in a bad mood, and it always seems to happen when it's hot and you're way out in the woods :D. I dropped mine the other day and it fell past horizontal, and was hot, and even though the thing is jetted perfectly and never has any problems started, it literally took me 25-30 kicks before it lit up just as if nothing had happened. 🙂