Rib Protection

Do any of you guys have any suggestions for any good rib protection. I have broken ribs on both sides. I always wear my neck brace and normal chest protector. Of course the normal chest protector does not really do any good. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks

A buddy of mine used to wear an under armor deal from Rockgardn that had little plastic pieces over the ribs. He crashed with it and still broke some ribs. Now he wears a vest looking deal, I'll have to ask him what it is and if he thinks it will do a better job.

I think there are certain bones that we'll just never be able to keep from breaking in this sport. Ribs and collar bones are two of the most common. You hear about those more than broken arms and legs!

How about a bull riding vest. When I rode bulls, I took some hard shots to the ribs. Got sore, but never had a rid broke. Some of the vest have athletic foam padding and others are ballistic. Cost is around $125 to $400 or more if you want top grain leather.

OK, so, I hit up my buddy at our Sat. night race about his vest.

It looks like a take on a bull rider vest, but not as nice. It is completely lined with a foam that's 3/4" to 1" thick and has a thin nylon fabric construction with velcro.

Here's the deal though, he swapped out in some whoops, slammed into the face of a jump and landed on the other side and ended up with eight broken ribs and a broken clavicle. So I don't know, take from that what you will.

I did find this though, and it looks better than what he has, but is it? :banana:

http://motoxvest.com/

Also this one.....

http://www.2ndmoto.biz/

Neither one is what my buddy has, can't seem to find it online and there was no name on his.

• 5 months later...

Anyone have any experience with the football undershirts with rib pads? I know I've seen the Zoombang brand shirt mentioned at least once. Something like this:

p5487680p275w.jpg

or this:

p3681169p275w.jpg

Troy Lee also makes one, but I can't tell how bulky it is:

motostrano_2141_54343073

I'm pretty sure I busted a rib 2 weeks ago (I'll find out tomorrow) and I'm looking for something to supplement my protection. I'm probably not going with a full pressure suit, most are pretty light on padding in the ribs anyway. Thinking that one of the padded undershirts, along with a hard over jersey chest protector that works with my leatt will give a good level of padding. It should cover the shoulders, ribs, back and chest for direct impacts, but still be tolerable for summer harescrambles in Texas. Thoughts?

I think there are certain bones that we'll just never be able to keep from breaking in this sport. Ribs and collar bones are two of the most common. You hear about those more than broken arms and legs!

I agree...

Gear can only go so far. People still break toes with motocross boots on. People still destroy knees wearing knee braces and many people break bones which seem to be otherwise fully protected. In my book; protect for the big things, the life-threatening things like wearing a neck brace and decent helmet so your not brain dead or paralyzed for life.

Anyone have any experience with the football undershirts with rib pads? I know I've seen the Zoombang brand shirt mentioned at least once. Something like this:

p5487680p275w.jpg

or this:

p3681169p275w.jpg

Troy Lee also makes one, but I can't tell how bulky it is:

motostrano_2141_54343073

I'm pretty sure I busted a rib 2 weeks ago (I'll find out tomorrow) and I'm looking for something to supplement my protection. I'm probably not going with a full pressure suit, most are pretty light on padding in the ribs anyway. Thinking that one of the padded undershirts, along with a hard over jersey chest protector that works with my leatt will give a good level of padding. It should cover the shoulders, ribs, back and chest for direct impacts, but still be tolerable for summer harescrambles in Texas. Thoughts?

Those padded shirts from Nike and such are just to protect the body from the over lying pad such as shoulder pads or rib protector. I like the look of the speed equipment shirt. Looks like it would dissipate some nasty hits.