Woods Weapons

Alright, you guys know who you are. Dedicated woods warriors who thrive on the nasty stuff. I just put the finishing touches on my woods creation. It's taken a year and a half to get to this point but I couldn't be happier with the result.

I started with an 07 rmz250, added the absolute must haves, ( hand guards, skid plate,rad guards, etc. After riding it I had the suspension revalved and spring rates changed by Riders Edge, ? and installed a powerbomb 4.1 full system. Rode for a while again then added a rekluse z-start pro. The bike would still bog over big logs so I installed a powerbowl 2. ( Great product ) I changed the stock pegs to fastway F5's and had to change the exhaust can to an FMF speed after destroying my 4.1 in a crash. ( I actually liked the change )

I also bent my front rotor so I went with a 280mm EBC wave and while I was at it changed the grabby rear to a galfer wave with an EE guard.

An Acerbis 3 gallon tank gave me long ride ability and a scotts sub mount damper calmed the front end down. since I was going full woods and we have lots of roots and rocks here, I laced up an 18" rim and run a trials tire out back. I'm done now and while it wasn't cheap, It's an extremely effective and fun woods bike. It has more than enough power for the woods I ride and is almost impossible to stall with the z-start. The handling is incredible and the trials tire is like cheating.

I'd like to know if I'm the only mental case or if there are others. Let's see and hear about some of your creations !!b8d9862178.jpg

Thats awesome!

The re-valve on the suspension is one of the best mods you can do for a woods bike.

Thicker rotors and better pegs are a great idea too, I've broken a couple pegs now on the trails with two different bikes, both had stock pegs.

The bike is very nice visual. Good investment on the oversized tank. Suspension work would have been expansive but worth it! It might have been more cost effective to invest in a 2 stroke euro bike, but if this is the machine that works for you then cool beans.

I've had 2 strokes. RM250, 04 and 07 and a KTM 200. I like the way the 4 stroke puts power to the ground. Of all the bikes I've ridden, this one works the best for me. Lot's of guys might prefer the quick delivery of a 2 stroke but, to each his own.

Tell us more about that trials tire!

How much bigger is your rear wheel than stock and what advantage did it provide?

How good is the traction in mud and on rocks?

I ride woods all the time and I'm looking to improve my grip out there!

have you ever seen what trials tires are used for? they have unbelievable traction

yeah ive seen trials, but the surfaces they compete on are solid, like plastic and wood and rocks. i can't imagine that tire would be good for muddy situations. if so why arent all mx tires like that?

yeah ive seen trials, but the surfaces they compete on are solid, like plastic and wood and rocks. i can't imagine that tire would be good for muddy situations. if so why arent all mx tires like that?

plastic & wood? Maybe you have seen some kinda trials event that I have not seen

I've only seen them in the nastiest narliest crap you can find in the forest, straight up rocks and over logs, crazy stuff like this

best-trials-2008-14.jpg

It's a Mitas 4.00X18 trials. I'm not sure it's any bigger than the 120/19 but it has more sidewall. The tread is super soft and pliable but doesn't seem to wear much. the footprint is wide and the grip on rocks and roots is simply amazing. the biggest difference I've noticed is when roots are wet. The tire still grips and propels you forward. It's not great for braking and moves around more than I like on hardpack corners but overall, the smiles outweigh the frowns. The thing I had to get used to is you have to be prepared for the bike to hook up and shoot you forward in places you might have had tire spin with a regular tire.

A trials tire is a great option for anyone that rides in rocky and hard pack conditions (roots qualify as rocks), in deep sand or mud you might as well get off and push.

Love what you've done with your bike, as soon as I get an updated picture of my RM250 I'll join in.

well i havnt modded my bike to the extent that you have, its an 05 crf450x with the basics.

my dad certainly has done some serious work to his. started with the same an 05 crf450x, did the hang guards skid plate and rad guards he put in an la sleeve 400cc kit with wiseco piston, jd jetting, scotts stabilizer with fast co flex bars. the trials tire, which does in fact get great traction, the g2 cammed throttle tube system. suspension done by WER with a new springs re valve and lowered 2 inches. and the rekluse z-start pro. he is also considering electric cooling fans to prevent over heating on slow rides, and the trail tech computer. i think thats everything he has done, but could have missed a few modds, i can try and get a picture up of it.

plastic & wood? Maybe you have seen some kinda trials event that I have not seen

I've only seen them in the nastiest narliest crap you can find in the forest, straight up rocks and over logs, crazy stuff like this

best-trials-2008-14.jpg

i was thinking this kind of stuff... the indoor trials is what i see more of (on the web of course)

But i can see why those tries are so good at hard pack, and any solid objects like rocks or tree stumps. I can imagine in mud and sand they would be pretty useless

Here is my 2009 RMZ 450.

Yoshimura full system, Power Commander III, GPR 4 Under the clamp setup, billet upper triple clamp for a little more flex, Factory Connection revalve/respring, EBC organic pads, Fastway wide footpegs, Works Connection frame guard, WC Skid plate, WC Engine guards, Moose Easy Pull clutch, Renthal Narrow bars for the woods, IMS Tank modified to fit steering stabilizer, coolant recovery system with 1.4 cap, Deval radiator braces, Fastway disc guard, TM chain slider, Ti Works sprockets (52 tooth), homemade step seat. Front Acerbis disc guard and 18 rear wheel not shown.

It's an obsession for a little trail riding.

38464_415537859078_508329078_4711346_7263854_n.jpg

38464_415537864078_508329078_4711347_388999_n.jpg

38464_415537869078_508329078_4711348_912522_n.jpg

38855_415538244078_508329078_4711387_4569213_n.jpg

best-trials-2008-14.jpg

yep that pretty much says it

Here is my 2009 RMZ 450.

Yoshimura full system, Power Commander III, GPR 4 Under the clamp setup, billet upper triple clamp for a little more flex, Factory Connection revalve/respring, EBC organic pads, Fastway wide footpegs, Works Connection frame guard, WC Skid plate, WC Engine guards, Moose Easy Pull clutch, Renthal Narrow bars for the woods, IMS Tank modified to fit steering stabilizer, coolant recovery system with 1.4 cap, Deval radiator braces, Fastway disc guard, TM chain slider, Ti Works sprockets (52 tooth), homemade step seat. Front Acerbis disc guard and 18 rear wheel not shown.

It's an obsession for a little trail riding.

38464_415537859078_508329078_4711346_7263854_n.jpg

38464_415537864078_508329078_4711347_388999_n.jpg

38464_415537869078_508329078_4711348_912522_n.jpg

38855_415538244078_508329078_4711387_4569213_n.jpg

Thats pretty much my dream bike! The only bike I would like to have more would be a 2010 RMX450Z:ride:

Here's my Trusty DR-Z, I'm not into the dual sport scene... My bikes off-road only!:banana:

P1010595.jpg

P1010593.jpg

P1010602.jpg

P1010599.jpg

P1010608.jpg

P1010604.jpg

P1010605.jpg

P1010606.jpg