Synthetic oil?

Just bought an '08 XR650L with 400 miles on it. Is this sufficient break-in mileage to switch to synthetic?

I would think the rings would be seated by now,,the only reason for waiting on using syn oil is to allow the rings to seat faster........but you know alot of manufacturers are running syn right from the factory......

B

Just as with cars you don't really need to wait anymore with the CNC machining.

If it is a rebuild or you are using oil that is another matter.

I agree, you should be fine.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, any significant break-in on modern engines happens within the first 200 miles. I say make the switch!

Not trying to stir anything up,but you did say modern engine(s)...650L engines are 20ish years old tech...not a problem with me,I have an 07.:eek:😉:banana:

Not trying to stir anything up,but you did say modern engine(s)...650L engines are 20ish years old tech...not a problem with me,I have an 07.😉🤣:eek:

LOL, yeah you got me there! They may be 20 years old Tech wise, but the manufacturing process is relatively modern. If you look at the metalurgy and tolerances at which engines are made in the last 20 years, versus say the 60's through the 70's, you'd see a noticeable difference. That's what I'm referring to. :banana:

I hadn't seen an oil thread since yesterday, so I guess it was about time for a new one...

Just bought an '08 XR650L with 400 miles on it. Is this sufficient break-in mileage to switch to synthetic?

For the sake of being thorough, probably not. Personally, I would run it out past 1000mi. 400mi isn't even to the first factory oil change interval.

Yeah, any significant break-in on modern engines happens within the first 200 miles. I say make the switch!

That depends tremendously on the cylinder material, piston ring material, and cylinder hone, not strictly the mileage. I have had engines seal up before I even got out of the driveway and others have required several thousand miles to loosen up and seal.