Doing a 2000 TTR125 topend, couple questions...

I bought a non-running 2000 model 125 the other day. Compression is around 80 psi, so it at least needs rings. This is not a surprise btw - I checked the air filter when I was looking it over, and what was left of it was laying in a pile on the bottom of the airbox. The PO looked surprised when I was pulling the airbox cover off - didn't look like he knew bikes even had air filters. The price was right, though.

I found fiche for two different 2000 125's on bikebandit.com. This model has a drum front brake. It's a TT125RM, if I recall.

I am looking for a gasket kit, but everything I've found says they're for 01-later bikes. Is this right? I thought the motors were basically all the same from 2000 to present. Where can I find a topend gasket kit for a 2000 model?

Is there a wrist pin bearing on this motor? I would replace it, but I don't see one on the fiche.

Anyone got a good leftover topend from a 150 conversion they'd like to sell?

Should I just go with a Wiseco piston, or are there better pistons out there for a basic rebuild?

I bought a non-running 2000 model 125 the other day. Compression is around 80 psi, so it at least needs rings. This is not a surprise btw - I checked the air filter when I was looking it over, and what was left of it was laying in a pile on the bottom of the airbox. The PO looked surprised when I was pulling the airbox cover off - didn't look like he knew bikes even had air filters. The price was right, though.

I found fiche for two different 2000 125's on bikebandit.com. This model has a drum front brake. It's a TT125RM, if I recall.

got a good leftover topend from a 150 conversion they'd like to sell?

i think I have a good ttr125l 04 top end. with very low

hours . cam , cyl, piston. pin .It was a wifes bike that was like new. bought it and installed the bbr kit not long after. The kick start engines are the same . and the top end should fit on any ttr 125. I will try to locate it . if i remember right all of the parts looked great and miced to specs. stock bore , never bored. The gasket kit should also be the same. I didnt even specify a model date when i ordered mine. Pm me if interested and ill see what i have . i should have every thing you need except the gasket set. I would prob do a valve job while you have it down as well.

Well, I ordered almost all the parts I need today. Snagged a (hopefully) good used cylinder / piston / rings for $50 shipped off fleabay. Planning to throw it in and lap the valves, and see how it runs. If it doesn't work out, I can get the one that's in it now bored. Just gonna try the "01+" gasket kit.

Well, I ordered almost all the parts I need today. Snagged a (hopefully) good used cylinder / piston / rings for $50 shipped off fleabay. Planning to throw it in and lap the valves, and see how it runs. If it doesn't work out, I can get the one that's in it now bored. Just gonna try the "01+" gasket kit.
i I would have given you the same deal. for 5.00 shipping and a money back if they didn;t mic to specs. CUZ I KNOW THEY DO. Look at the cyl well FOR SCARS.... iF IT LOOKS GOOD MIC IT TO MAKE SHURE ITS IN TOLERANCE. DO THE SAME FOR TH PISTON. IF THEY ARE , HONE IT AND AT LEAST PUT NEW RINGS. ID DO THIS TO KEEP FROM PUTTING IT UP AND FINDING OUT IT'S SHOT. THAT COULD REALLY PISS YOU OFF. ALSO MIC THE END GAP ON THE NEW RINGS AND FILE IF IT THE GAP IS TOO SMALL. USE A FEELER GAGE FOR THAT. A SHOP WILL DO THIS FOR YOU OR LITTLE OR NOTHING IF YOU ORDER THE RINGS FROM THEM THEY ARE CHEAP. PM ME IF THEY ARE SHOT . A CYL BORE IS 70.00 TO 90.OO AND A 1 OVER PISTON WITH RINGS IS ABOUT THE SAME. MINE ARE FROM A O4 125L WIFES BIKE THAT WAS LIKE NEW AND HAD FEW HOURS ON IT WHEN IT WAS PULLED. THEY MICED WELL WITHIN TOLERANCE IS WHY I KEPT THEM. ALSO MIC THE VALVE GUIDES and stems . They could make it smoke even if the piston and cyl are good. I would check every thing if the bike was not maintained and you don't really know what you have . It could save you a lot of time.....good luck.I also have a bbr 150 engine that im thinking about selling. Im parting the bike because my son is going to school out of state and never rode it much after i built it.It's the same engine the stock cyl came off of. New bbr 150 cyl and piston . NEW hot cam stage 1 . AND A LIGHTENED FLYWHEEL . IT'S A KICK START TTRL.LESS FHAN A HUNDRED HOURS ON THE BOTTOM AND 30 ON THE TOP BARELY BROKEN IN. NO SMOKE OR ISSUES WITH THE TRANNY. I ONLY USE MOTORCYCLE SYNTHETIC OIL EXCEPT FOR THE BREAK IN. GOOD LUCK.PM ME IF I CAN HELP.............JOHN

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I got punked on the ebay cylinder. It had a couple scratches in it that wouldn't hone out, but luckily the original cylinder honed out just fine. Lapped the valves, new rings, new VM24 carb, new UNI filter, and it's running awesome.

Now all it needs is tires, rear brake shoes, suspension tuning, chain & sprockets, maybe some BBR parts, etc... and then I'll sell it and start over with something else!

Thanks for the help.

I have a TT-R125L I am parting out. It was a 2002 that I put in the BBR big bore, cam, carb, etc but the wife ruined the tranny too many times so I took the big bore, etc and put it into her '07 Motard, making it back into a MX'er. So I'm parting out some '02 and some '07 parts.

So I have a brand-new (less than 1 hour) cylinder, piston, head. Also front springs, rear shock (and spring), also <1 hour, her old forks w/ new seals (<2 hours), her old frame and swingarm (with new bearings, <2 hours), her old gas tank, seat too. A lightened flywheel and stator, new clutch basket and clutch pack, clutch cover, an old Big Gun exhaust, a new Big Gun Over Rev CDI unit and a K&N Air filter. Got 13,14,15t sprockets.

PM me with offers.