Make it Legal

Hello all,

Is it possible to make the KLX450R street legal?

Can one just add turn signal kits and turn it street legal or is it more involved? I am in NY. Thanks for any or all suggestions...

I love this forum and all the fantastic pictures you guys post of your bikes.

Francesco

Just installed the Baja Designs kit on my KLX450R. In my opinion, go with the LED upgrade and the HID + stator rewind if you actually want to do any enduro riding at night. While some may gripe that the Baja Designs Diablo HID looks a little dated on the KLX, let me tell you, THIS THING WILL ROCK YOUR WORLD WITH LIGHT. I don't care what it looks like if it works this well. Kit install was really straight forward and complete. Very pleased with all of it.

Jim

It is more of an issue with the paperwork for your state than anything..... Not sure how New York is. California is lame, AZ and MT are a piece of cake.

^THIS

I did mine in PA but each state is different. Check your state laws and make sure you are serious before buying/installing the parts. Many folks have started the process and then gave up after finding out what's involved.

You might get some more info on NY laws if you post over in the "dual sport" forum.

It is more of an issue with the paperwork for your state than anything.....

+1 Many states have lists of new bike VIN's that cannot be registered for the street....no matter how many lights you hang on the thing. ­čśĆ

Hi, i live in columbia s.c. Went to the dmv on monday, transferd my tag from my xr400 to my klx450r, all thay wanted was the vin# and prof of ins, it came up as a klr650, i got my reg card and tag in about 10 mins, piece of cake, hope all of you have the same luck!!!!!!!!!

Hi, i live in columbia s.c. Went to the dmv on monday, transferd my tag from my xr400 to my klx450r, all thay wanted was the vin# and prof of ins, it came up as a klr650, i got my reg card and tag in about 10 mins, piece of cake, hope all of you have the same luck!!!!!!!!!

You have one of the few "magic" VIN numbers that shows as a KLR. There are a bunch of them out there! It's good to be you!­čśĆ

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

In Michigan I had to install the turn signals front and rear, horn, high and low beam headlight, rear LED tail light that also acts as a light for the license plate which is required in Mich. Then I had to have it inspected by the State Police that signed off that all functions work properly and are within the law. Then I had to apply for an assembled title like a dune buggy or a trikel With this new title I could get insurance and go back to the Dept of Motor Vehicle to get a license plate. Bike 5500 streetl legal stuff 550.00 white bros mx4 slip on 81.00 on ebay dyno-jet kit 49.00 fun on the street Priceless. next super moto rims and tires

In Michigan I had to install the turn signals front and rear, horn, high and low beam headlight, rear LED tail light that also acts as a light for the license plate which is required in Mich. Then I had to have it inspected by the State Police that signed off that all functions work properly and are within the law. Then I had to apply for an assembled title like a dune buggy or a trikel With this new title I could get insurance and go back to the Dept of Motor Vehicle to get a license plate. Bike 5500 streetl legal stuff 550.00 white bros mx4 slip on 81.00 on ebay dyno-jet kit 49.00 fun on the street Priceless. next super moto rims and tires

I'm not denying that you made it through the process in MI, but some of the equipment you listed was not required, and some other things are needed.

Unit B of this form:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/TR-54_38480_7.pdf

shows the checklist the police are supposed to consider. Every state is different, but Michigan makes the process possible.