Time to decide on my new bike.Need your help.

I am buying my bike Saturday if I can get this figured out. I am coming from a modded CRF450X (which I hate for the trails) basically bc its a pig. My choices are;

2005 YZ250 $2750 - Sup. already re-valved and sprung for my weight, has maybe 20 rides, proper maint, and overall a really clean bike.

2007 YZ250F $3200 - Less than 5hrs ride time, basically new. Clutch covers arent even worn the smallest bit

2008 CRF450R $3200 - Has most of 15hrs ride time, maint well and is in great cond. Afraid of the Honda maint. compared to others

My goal is to have a more woods friendly bike than my 450x. I know some mods are gonna have to be made to these. Most trails I ride are fourwheeler trails and some single track but not much. Give me some insight guys I need yall help.

i dont know too much about trails, but if your riding tighter trails id go for the 2007 yz250f, its lighter and has a much better clutch. the crf450 is amazing on tracks, but i havent heard much about it for trails, and id actually prefer honda maintenance over any other bike. it only has 1 cam, and its actually engineered with mechanics in mind, so it has mainly the same size bolts and good clearances

Those are some higher prices IMO. I bought my 07 YZ250F in March for 2500. Great great trail bike. You can't go wrong with the two stroke version either. Hell even the 450R is a good bike too. Has your X given you maintenance or longevity nightmares yet?

If it helps I am 6'2" and weigh 220. I just thought about the 450 for the lighter weight than what I have. Would the 250f be enough power for just trails? I dont plan on racing or anything like that.

I'm 6'2" and 250 lbs. I like my YZ250F on the most difficult of trails and I don't race. It's just enough power really.

I say go with the 2-stroke,because its lighter,its more nimble,and revs lower than any modern day 4-stroke,thus giving you more traction if the 250 2-stroke is too fast for you in the woods you can detune it some with a FWW or different gearing etc Hope this helps:ride:

smokers do not rev lower than thumpers. FWWs and gearing are applicable mods to both bikes. ­čśĆ

• 1 month later...

trail rider myself, i have a 02 crf450r and that is NOT trail friendly. I just picked up a 04 yz250f that needs a little work. I'm hoping its mutch better in the trails. Personally I like my low end torque, so I stay off the 2t. Go with the 250f!