trailtech DC upgrade and grounds

i bought an '07 sm450r and the guy has a full trailtech stator and DC electrical setup on it. tryin to find some info about how it all works. is everything basically grounded to the frame or is it a "floating" ground? there is a small switch in the system that basically turns on the dc side of things but if it is in the off position, with the bike running the low beam or running light in the headlight still works at idle but it flickers alot and when you rev the bike up over idle it goes out completely. is this normal? doesnt make much sense to me

I have a 2005 TE450 that had a lot of flicker at idle, but that was because the headlight was wired off the ac output on the stator. "Turning the DC side on" is probably referring to running all the electronics through the battery and using that as a buffer. Is your battery fully charged? Also, other than the charging system upgrades, is the rest of the wiring harness stock?

its hard to say what in the harness is stock and not. it does have all the stock controls and wiring. but it also has the trailtech stator, trailtech DC rectifier, HID headlight and that switch that turns it all on. i have found though that with the switch turned on and the bike running the headlight gets brighter as the rpm goes up so that tells me that the stator is charging the battery. i guess some day i'm just gonna have to go through it and see how its all wired up. any idea on the ground? floating or chassis

Typically they will not be frame grounded, but only battery grounded. Pretty easy check is to check continuity from your battery Neg terminal to frame or motor. No continuity = isolated system. Second check would be unplug first coupler from stator and check each wire for continuity to ground. A grounded system will typically be grounded at the stator.

Motomarc, from what your saying it sounds like my bike has some different wiring? I just installed a new headlight to run off the DC side of the things and I ran a hot to the headlight (switch in the middle) from the positive terminal, and then a short ground to the lower fork clamp. Works perfect. I know the PO changed some wiring, but the whole frame is a ground point. Is that normal? 05 te450.

Not sure if that's normal, I've never checked! I'm not familiar with all Husky's wiring setups except for my aging TC's. But given how electricity behaves, If your headlight can turn on with the bike not running wired like that, you definately have continuity from your 12v battery NEG to any point on the frame or motor. Many AC-only enduro bikes don't use the frame as ground due to the likelyhood of corrosion, cracks, etc. So when converted to a 12v system they are still Isolated. You can still do 12v conversion on kickstart-only bikes without a battery by using a decent capacitor.