What would be a good choice for a dune/fun bike

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what would be a good choice as a fun bike/ sand dune bike.

I race mx and desert on a Honda CRF450 and CRF250. I love both of these bikes, but since they are my race bikes I dont really want to take them to the dunes. So I am looking at a couple of different options. First I was looking at getting a used 250 2 stroke since i have never ridden a 2 storke of any kind and everyone says they are tons of fun. The only problem i see is i might have trouble riding a 2 stroke since ive never ridden one. Since i dont know much about 2 stroke what are the best years and brands?

Another option is buying an older used 450. Would this be a better option since ive already ridden a 450 and have experience on it? The problem i see is there is more matenece and it might be harder to find a used 450 in good shape for a lower price any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Finally what are the best years and brands for a 450 for a dune bike?

The final option is i wait and get a new 250F as my race bike and then keep my 07 CRF250 as my dune/play bike. Obviously this would cost WAY more but would a 250F make a good dune bike or no?

I wont the money for some time but im just trying to get an idea of costs so i cant start saving up the money.

Sorry about the long post

Thanks everyone

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

I was wondering what would be a good choice as a fun bike/ sand dune bike.

I race mx and desert on a Honda CRF450 and CRF250. I love both of these bikes, but since they are my race bikes I dont really want to take them to the dunes. So I am looking at a couple of different options. First I was looking at getting a used 250 2 stroke since i have never ridden a 2 storke of any kind and everyone says they are tons of fun. The only problem i see is i might have trouble riding a 2 stroke since ive never ridden one. Since i dont know much about 2 stroke what are the best years and brands?

Another option is buying an older used 450. Would this be a better option since ive already ridden a 450 and have experience on it? The problem i see is there is more matenece and it might be harder to find a used 450 in good shape for a lower price any input on this would be greatly appreciated. Finally what are the best years and brands for a 450 for a dune bike?

The final option is i wait and get a new 250F as my race bike and then keep my 07 CRF250 as my dune/play bike. Obviously this would cost WAY more but would a 250F make a good dune bike or no?

I wont the money for some time but im just trying to get an idea of costs so i cant start saving up the money.

Sorry about the long post

Thanks everyone

Cr500=dune king, cheap initial cost, reliable, and tons of power....

Cr500=dune king, cheap initial cost, reliable, and tons of power....

yea i thought about a CR500 but the lower intial cost would probably add up to be the same as a new 450 once i payed all of the hospital bills lol

I race a crf 450, and a year ago I got a 2 stroke for fun. the bike was a blast however I found that the two bikes are rode differnt on a mx track. they dont jump the same in my opinion. you have to be more forward on a to stroker. also no engine break was something to get used to. I got rid of mine cause was forgetting sortaspeak what bike I was on when riding the track. not saying dont get one but since you race as I do I would stick t same stroke as whatever race bike you got. however my buddy races a crf250r and also a 2 stroke for school boy class. doesent seem to bother him. Me i chose to keep it same as race bike and sold it. Iam also in nc there arent any sand dunes here.

I race a crf 450, and a year ago I got a 2 stroke for fun. the bike was a blast however I found that the two bikes are rode differnt on a mx track. they dont jump the same in my opinion. you have to be more forward on a to stroker. also no engine break was something to get used to. I got rid of mine cause was forgetting sortaspeak what bike I was on when riding the track. not saying dont get one but since you race as I do I would stick t same stroke as whatever race bike you got. however my buddy races a crf250r and also a 2 stroke for school boy class. doesent seem to bother him. Me i chose to keep it same as race bike and sold it. Iam also in nc there arent any sand dunes here.

Ok thanks yea i was thinking it might be better to stick with another 4 stroke nut should i get a second used 450 or use my 250F and buy a new race bike?

Ok thanks yea i was thinking it might be better to stick with another 4 stroke nut should i get a second used 450 or use my 250F and buy a new race bike?

I dont agree, at all with the previous post....

I think a kx/cr 500 or even a 250 smoker would make allot better, and cheaper bike for dunes only....

250F:

dunes060.jpg

300:

dunes070.jpg

My vote would be the 250 2 stroke, because it will be lighter in the air than a 450F. I've ridden a 450F and 200 (and 300 but not mine), and if I go to the sand again I would actually prefer the 200 at least on the regular sized dunes (oregon coast). For giant stuff like St Anthony I'll take the 450 and just not jump much.

I wouldn't worry about a bike being easy to ride, the nature of sand dunes is on or off anyway. For the dunes they will all be about the same so get whatever's cheapest and easiest to get bearings for.

250F is a joke. I'm not even a wild and crazy sand rider, but coming around a flat turn would go something like this:

nearing end of turn, time to go faster

Pin it

Oh, I was already at 15/16ths throttle.

I guess I won't be going much faster than this

Upshift and hope I don't throw a valve

Then something like the above pictures would happen.

Ok thanks for the help everyone. I am liking the idea of the 2 stroke but my only worry is learning to ride one since i never have before and then switching back to the 4 stroke for racing. What kind of problems might this cuase?

josmoloco i never advised him not to get a 2 stroke so I dont know what you disagree with in my post. I simply was in same situation with out the dunes, passed it on from my point of view. and that he may want to stick to what he is racing. I even said my buddy rides both no prob. dont worry i dident knock the 2 stroke, i know you guys get butt hurt if someone dont ride it.

250 smoker is an awesome dune bike. It would be sweet to set one up as a dedicated dune bike (paddle, bigger tank, jetting, flag mount) because switching back and forth is a huge PITA.

Yea whatever i get i will prettty much just use it for the dunes and maybe as a bike for friends to borrow from time to time but mainly i would just ride it at the dunes.

• 1 month later...

I have an RM250, and it does awesome in the dunes. DO NOT GET A 250F FOR THE DUNES! Does not work. Been there, done that. I dont hate 4 strokes, but the 2 stroke would be all around cheaper. Especially if you are buying used.

I have an RM250, and it does awesome in the dunes. DO NOT GET A 250F FOR THE DUNES! Does not work. Been there, done that. I dont hate 4 strokes, but the 2 stroke would be all around cheaper. Especially if you are buying used.

K thanks man i wasnt really thinkin bout the 250F that seriously i would rather get a 250 2 stroke or a 450. How big of an adjustment will the 2 stroke be? I have never ridden one