Help installing a cam chain

hey guys, its been a while since ive done a cam chain in the pig so im a little shy about going ahead with it without consulting the forum for information before i begin the procedure.

firstly, ill have to remove the old one.

once i remove the tensioner and cam, do i grind through the end of the old joining pin with a file or angle grinder?

use a punch to push the old pin out, and thread the new chain on?

and im having trouble pushing the new pin through the new chain ends.

its terribly tight, its going to be very hard to do.

are there any good methods?

thanks in advance.

hey guys, its been a while since ive done a cam chain in the pig so im a little shy about going ahead with it without consulting the forum for information before i begin the procedure.

firstly, ill have to remove the old one.

once i remove the tensioner and cam, do i grind through the end of the old joining pin with a file or angle grinder?

use a punch to push the old pin out, and thread the new chain on?

and im having trouble pushing the new pin through the new chain ends.

its terribly tight, its going to be very hard to do.

are there any good methods?

thanks in advance.

What are you riding??????????..........and second...where did you get a timing chain that comes apart??????????

On the XRL and XR600R you pull the right cover,clutch basket,and the pulse generator and other bits.........and the valve cover and pull the cam out.........the chain IS NOT SUPPOSED to be cut...you pull it out in one piece...

Did you get this chain off ebay???????? i can`t see anything good coming from a cam chain you have to join yourself...if not done right a catastrophie is seen in your near future:banghead:

I think i`ve seen these on ebay.....and there is no way in hell i`d use one..your mileage may vary on this though...

post a pic of the new chain for us..­čśĆ

B

I just replaced my cam chain and bought an open ended one like you have done . Yes you can do it without taking the sidecase off , then removing clutch basket and crank sprockets etc etc . You need to break the original chain somehow then use it to feed the new chain in then join it using the proper chain breaker tool which also doubles as a pin press . BUT you have to make sure the joining pin is flared over to ensure it wont come loose . This is where i got very cold on the idea of using this chain , I went and bought a second chain which was already joined . I just didnt want to run the risk of not getting it perfect .

Hmm, here's an idea....

Get a Honda cam chain and a manual, read the manual and do what it says. I assure you that there's nothing in there about a master link on a cam chain and you will be removing the side cover.

I prefer to pull the motor, maybe you already did. Not hate you HAVE to, but doing so allows you to clean and re-grease a lot of things that could really use it.

A camchain with a masterlink sounds like a failure waiting to happen. Replacing a cam chain isn't a huge task. A Saturday and a sixpack (two if you have help... Saturdays and sixpacks:lol:)

The XR650L factory manual is available for download in the FAQs. That will get you by, but a step by step manual is a good addition to the factory manual.

3343p77.jpg

sorry guys, its a 98 xr600 engine.

i want to be able to do it without taking the clutch cover off. it can be done by removing the rocker cover.

thought there might be some people here that have done this method.

this is the kit

its a borg warner chain

ive used one before and just used two hammers (one either side os the lock pin) and tapped both sides at the same time to peen the pin.but this chain link seams really hard to put in. i wanted to do it without having to buy a link joiner. was hoping someone had a good tip.