EDELBROCK CARBURETOR(how much $$) and what did you get for the $$

I am to the point of either a new KTM 450 or an Elbrock carb..

Ya, I know large difference in price, yet in the past two years I have put the difference in price (new XR vs. New KTM) in parts, and mods to make the XR do or even keep up with others I ride with... I know it not the machine its the rider..

Yet I am down to the wire, either new carb or new bike..

The XR has no rev what so ever and if I run in 2nd at too low of a speed, I have to shift, or I stall out...

Not throttle responce at low speed in high gear..

How much, where did you purchase and is it worth the $$..

Thanks

HI! AL

I HAVE A 03 XR400 WITH ALL THE MODS AND THE ONLY THING THAT I DON'T LIKE IS THAT IT STILL HAS A LITTLE HIP-UP WHEN YOU GRAB A HANDFULL OF THROTLE. THE BIKE RUNS BEAUTIFUL IN ALL GEARS, LOW OR HIGH RPM. I AM WAITING TO TAKE DELIVERY ON A EDLEBROCK QUICKSILVER CARB FROM ROB BARNUM. COME COMPLETE WITH NEW CABLES AND HARDWARE. THIS WILL IMPROVE PERFORMANCE OVERALL AND GET RID OF THIS HIP-UP. COST OUT THE DOOR $435

Al, I haven't had a hick-up since I put my Edelbrock on. I brought my bike to Rob and he jetted it there and put the carb on. I couldnt be happier with my bike. $400.00 and change. I think I'm getting all I can out of my XR400 with the carb, cam ignition and suspension work. My bike is definately ahead of my skills. You've done most everything else, 400.00 is a small investment to see if it makes you happy, or why throw 400 bucks away if you're gonna get a new bike. I guess it's all in how you look at things. ๐Ÿ™‚

You could always buy one, bolt it on, ride for a while, and decide then if you want the KTM. If you do, then put the stocker back on and sell the Eddie on the board. It would probably sell pretty quick at a slightly discounted price.

I just put one on myself. First impressions are excellent. Still need to play with the tuning a bit. Hopefully I'll ride again Wed. and have a chance to dial it in a bit more.

If you get one, splurge for the new throttle housing and XR650 cables. Dwight suggested it to me and I'm glad I listened. Perfect fit, 1/4 turn to wfo, cables exact length. About another 100. The barnums will know what it is your looking for.

Take care and join the club ๐Ÿ™‚

John...

03XR400

Hey Al,

I have added the Eddelbrock to my bike since we rode. It is well worth the money and will get rid of any flat spots or bogs in your entire rpm range. Also Noblesville Honda just put in a Dyno and you can actually see if you gain any horsepower or torque over stock if you take it up there and install it and do a dyno run before and after. I will be putting my bike on there possibly this week. The thing is very cool it will tell you if your bike is jetted properly or not and will tell you HP at all rpms and also torque. I can't wait to see how many HP I have or don't have! The only draw back to the dyno is you have to have a street tire on your bike which they have old tires but you have to change it, twice!!!

Are you going to Plymouth this weekend? I might.

turbo

Becasue on the dyno your bike has to spin a drum and with a knobby tire you can break traction. It would probably work but not very accurately. With a knobby your bike would bounce on the drum and not spin it like it should under acceleration. ๐Ÿ™‚

turbo

Turbo:

I am planning on running Sun @ Plymouth--

BTW, Found a farmer off of South 37 that allows people to ride on his land..

Not much to talk about yet another place to ride.

I will look for you @ Plymouth..

Any one know how to reason with a wife about spending $400, right after spending $500 on a new talon hub and excel..

wheel... :D๐Ÿ™‚:D :D

Heck, tell her the truth. Tell her you are thinking of getting a new bike but want to try one more thing to squeeze out a bit more power. If it does, I can hold off for a while getting a new bike. If it doesn't, I can sell the carb and get all my money back. (almost)

Good luck.

BTW, did another ride today on the Edelbrock. I think I've got it set right. 14 clicks, middle needle, 2 1/4 turns on the pumper. Tried everything I could to get it to bog, but it wouldn't.

John...

03XR400

Hey Al,

I think you would be very happy with your XR with the new carb. They really are awsome and make a huge difference. I will see you sunday, I am an early bird so I will try to save you a spot and you can use my pop up, it will be nice to have another XR in the pits for a change. ๐Ÿ™‚

turbo

Hey Al, forget telling her the truth, for now anyway, Just go about it like this, and it worked for me wonderfully,

"Don't ask for permission, ask for forgiveness". So what are you waiting for? Go get that carb, besides everyone know that KTM stands for Kind that Melts. LOL Keep that xr

that you've already tricked out, I can't wait to get my carb either, especially after listening to these guys!

Remember FORGIVENESS. Later on and good hunting, Karl ๐Ÿ™‚:D