fell with evs rc evilution and i have tons of broken bones!!! do they help or hurt!?

ok so i was wearing the evs rc evolution and i ended up shattering my shoulder blade broke my collar bone c7 vertebra ribs and bused my lungs and was leaking air from my lungs.... not cool.... so needless to say iam gonna be watching the races for awhile now... but what i was wondering was if my evs neck braces helped or harmed... when i 1st fell b4 i got up i was talking to the track owner abt this neck brace and he said that he heard they dislocate ur shoulder. so i was thinking that was all i did dislocate and broke some ribs... well, xrays showed a whole lot more damage then anyone had thought... so basically what iam looking for is if anyone has had similar injurys while wearing a more high end neck brace like a leatt or if anyone has heard of this evs one causing more dmg... dont get me wrong iam not trying to sue or anything dumb like that, for all i know this thing coulda saved my life... but figure i better look up some info on this thing because iam really bashed up for wearing a neck brace... oooohhhhh and if ur wonding what i did i was hauling ass threw some longer type of rolling whoops, and i have them down good to btw... but i got a little bit fed up on my timing and got crazy and bucked off and slamed into the face of the last whoop...? def was a bad wreck... but any info would be great thanks yall...

Each peice of safety equipment is designed to offer some protection, but they may also have a downside. Also you can never know if an injury could have been better or worse with a particular peice of protection. There are too many variables involved.

We had a Vet rider die here from a casual crash. He broke his collar bone, and the broken end went into his corroded artery and he bled out internally on the side of the track.

The therory is the neck brace setting on top of the shoulders, held the collar bone down. Instead of it pushing in an outward direction, it was held down and the impact forced it into the corroded artery. But how are you going to know for sure.

Just wear the gear deisgned for what it was intended, and know Mx is dangerous.

wow thats horrible, that def makes me feel even more lucky to be alive... i love mx and i love riding but idk i find myself asking is it worth my life? iam def not gonna quit but iam gonna hvae to take it down a notch and not be so crazy and competitive all the time... iam 23 and i have a 1 year old daughter now that i wanna be around to raise and plan on having a son as well... but like i said i love riding... but i also like being alive... just gonna have to be more conscious abt what iam doing thanks alot for sharing man..

As bad as your injury's are, there is no way to know if any safety equipment helps or harms without repeating the same crash again in the same way falling the same... I haven't found anyone willing to go for the second round...... Some say" I wouldn't be alive to if it wasn't for my ???? (whatever)... How do they know this to really be true. I've seen crashes that I didn't think the riders would get up from but as we ran to them they'd get up and ride off before we got there.... I mean a 60 - 65 mph endo w/ two riders getting together.... My point is you can't tell if the neck braces works or not....

wow thats horrible, that def makes me feel even more lucky to be alive... i love mx and i love riding but idk i find myself asking is it worth my life? iam def not gonna quit but iam gonna hvae to take it down a notch and not be so crazy and competitive all the time... iam 23 and i have a 1 year old daughter now that i wanna be around to raise and plan on having a son as well... but like i said i love riding... but i also like being alive... just gonna have to be more conscious abt what iam doing thanks alot for sharing man..

Unless you have a multi million dollar contract where your family can be taken care of, like you said, tone it down a notch and just have fun. Even riding off of the ragged edge you can still get hurt, but it certainly lowers the chance of a morbid injury. Although you're having fun right now, you'll enjoy it even more when your kids ride too. Before you know it, you'll have 5 little tricycle motors at your bedside poking at you trying to wake you up to go riding. Daddy Daddy Daddy Daddy Daddy..........get up let's go! hahahah

When you catch yourself starting to rail a berm, slaming the bars, and skimming whoops, snap out of it and shift down a gear or two. Glad you're going to be ok. ?

I crashed hard wearing a Leatt brace. 4th gear through the dez. hit a hole on the ground and went flying over the bars. Broke my foot wearing Tech 10's a dislocated my shoulder. There was a large cut in the foam on the rear of the neck brace where my helmet hit it. It definatly stoped my head from going back,Did it stop an injury I dont know.

garage.php?do=viewattachment&attachmentid=87517&thumb=1

Protecting one area means that force must go somewhere else on your body. In skiing, everyone was breaking their ankles, so boots were made stiffer. Well, people started breaking their leg right at the top of the boot. So, boots were made taller. Now skiers just blow out their knees. It is just the way it is.

In Motocross, people wear helmets to protect their head, well, that makes your head big and prone to impact, that impact is transferred to your neck. Well, now we have neck braces, so that impact is transferred down into your body. It is just the way it is.

• Like 1

Each peice of safety equipment is designed to offer some protection, but they may also have a downside. Also you can never know if an injury could have been better or worse with a particular peice of protection. There are too many variables involved.

We had a Vet rider die here from a casual crash. He broke his collar bone, and the broken end went into his corroded artery and he bled out internally on the side of the track.

The therory is the neck brace setting on top of the shoulders, held the collar bone down. Instead of it pushing in an outward direction, it was held down and the impact forced it into the corroded artery. But how are you going to know for sure.

Just wear the gear deisgned for what it was intended, and know Mx is dangerous.

When/where did this happen? I didnt hear about this. Are you sure that it wasnt the subclavian artery that was severed and not the carotid? It would be very hard to injure the carotid artery from a clavicle fracture. Either way, it sucks that this guy died. ? But if you are an white male above 35, then I am sure you have some corroded arteries as well! ?

Dave, no I'm not sure it was the carotid artery. It may have been the one you mentioned. This was a few months ago at Splendora. It was the jump after the finish line. I can get more details if needed.

Haha corroded artery. I have corrosion on my mind. I was fighting with a really crusty a/c fitting earlier today. ?

Dave, no I'm not sure it was the carotid artery. It may have been the one you mentioned. This was a few months ago at Splendora. It was the jump after the finish line. I can get more details if needed.

Haha corroded artery. I have corrosion on my mind. I was fighting with a really crusty a/c fitting earlier today. ?

Oh, I remember that crash...but I didnt hear that they figured out what it was that killed him. I think his name was Billy Bantau. I kick myself as I was supposed to be at the track that day...maybe I could have done something to save his life. ?

Did you get knocked out, or do you remember the crash?

Looks like it definately reduced the head movement to the rear, but like you said you don't know if it stop an injury.

I did not get knocked out. My helmet foam was smashed in at the right side above the forehead. I had to get a new one. As far as remembering the crash, All I can remember was trying to ride out an endo then high sided my head into the ground sliding and fliping head over heals.

Honestly its impossible for us to tell you if the brace made your injuries worse or saved you from something worse. Even if you had a video of it would of been impossible.

The issue that Leatts had where they were breaking collar bones but that was because people didnt have them adjusted properly. Another flaw in the leatt design, is that while it does take the risk of a broken neck down a fair bit, all that force can be concentrated on one spot lower in the spine. So while it lowers the neck risk it heightens the one for a Thoratic vertebrae fracture.

like people said you will never know. Just be glad your alive and well. 2 weeks ago a friend of mine went over a jump he did a thouand times very small jump and not a hard crash but now he is paralized from the chest down. I dont think he was wearing a neck brace. I had the EVS for me it felt too restrictive which is not a bad thing but I ordered an Alpinstar Bionic neck brace, better safe than sorry.I am comming off an injury, just healing up from a femur break. As bad as this year has been for me I consider myself lucky.

Protecting one area means that force must go somewhere else on your body. In skiing, everyone was breaking their ankles, so boots were made stiffer. Well, people started breaking their leg right at the top of the boot. So, boots were made taller. Now skiers just blow out their knees. It is just the way it is.

In Motocross, people wear helmets to protect their head, well, that makes your head big and prone to impact, that impact is transferred to your neck. Well, now we have neck braces, so that impact is transferred down into your body. It is just the way it is.

Dead on, you broke one of the last and believe it or not safest bones in your neck to break, now if only they can just make something to protect our backs.

Honestly its impossible for us to tell you if the brace made your injuries worse or saved you from something worse. Even if you had a video of it would of been impossible.

The issue that Leatts had where they were breaking collar bones but that was because people didnt have them adjusted properly. Another flaw in the leatt design, is that while it does take the risk of a broken neck down a fair bit, all that force can be concentrated on one spot lower in the spine. So while it lowers the neck risk it heightens the one for a Thoratic vertebrae fracture.

well yeah i also broke my c7 vertebra so i figured maybe that was caused my the shifting on the neck brace, i just now got my brace back and the strap on my left side is broken left side is where all the dmg is... so maybe that had somthing to do with it... it broke where the cheap plastic book bag type straps meet the little adjuster thing that tightens... thats what broke... so who knows...?