TTR 250 mods. What can be done?

Ive searched around and didnt find exactly what i needed.

I'm debating selling my YZ450f and getting another ttr250. What are all of the performance mods that can be done? Does anybody make a kickstart for it so i could get rid of the battery? Different headlight and rear fender to get rid of the lights? I heard somebody makes a rear fender but is it a direct bolt on? I had a 2000 TTR250 last year and I definetly needed more power so i wont get another one unless i can significantly increase the power. Thanks guys, bill804

Not much point, you're chasing your tail throwing money at a bike that, at best, won't be as powerful as a WR250F, which can be had cheap used already set up like the TTR you'll be throwing money and time at.

It's a tractor of a trail bike, why fight it?

• 5 weeks later...
This post doesn't make alot of sense. You have a 450 f, but you want a ttr 250 with more power. this might not be the bike for you, what type of riding do you do?

I know the TTR250 will NEVER have the power of my 450f, i meant to ask if there are things to do to increase the power of the TTR250. Sorry if i was unclear.

So i already know about the easy/cheap air box mod, muffler, and jetting stuff. Does anybody make a header, full exhaust system, high compression piston, camshafts, any place to get a lightweight battery, and is there any way to alter the ignition timing? Or are we stuck with only the airbox, jetting, and muffler mods?

If i cant get this 450f to quite stalling then I'm gonna get either a YZ250 or TTR250. I know 2t engines like the back of my hand and can rebuild them in my sleep and theres alot of modifying i can do to it to keep me busy/happy. On the other hand, theres alot i can modify on the ttr to keep me busy/happy and it's a much cheaper route. Alot of it depends on just how much more HP can be pulled from the TTR.

Thanks again, bill804

Hello Bill,

I bought my TTR250 after a 15-year layoff from riding. Now at the ripe age of 43, I wasn't sure how I was going to take back to riding.The TTR with its e-start and nice low price was attractive. After logging about 3,000 miles of trails I want more but the TTR will not deliver. Stock it is very heavy and the suspension is very undersprung. I installed a Pro Circuit T4 slip on, re-jetted, Air Box mod. The throttle response it way better. Bogging out on climbs has improved greatly. But its no 450, never will be. This bike is a very reliable trail bike, that requires very low manitanence. So for those qualities I love it. But the weight is a problem. If I had to do it over I would have bought a DRZ 400 with a plate, WR 250R with a plate or KTM 450 EXC with a plate. The DRZ would have a little better power, tons of mods available, estart but heavy and only a 5-speed tranny, but with a plate. The WR 250 R would be the bike I would buy right now, lighter, 6-speed and very reliable and trailworthy and I am a yamaha guy. The dream would be the KTM 450 EXC, this bike would do it all and be the closest thing to a race bike with a plate. But I dont like orange kool aid very much. Your 19 and probobly looking for something with a little more fun to it. So fix the 450 up and keep it going for a while. Unless you you want a nice little trail bike that will get you home.

Yes, i had a ttr250 a while ago. i liked it but it was a little slow and the suspension wasnt that good.

Hello Bill,

I bought my TTR250 after a 15-year layoff from riding. Now at the ripe age of 43, I wasn't sure how I was going to take back to riding.The TTR with its e-start and nice low price was attractive. After logging about 3,000 miles of trails I want more but the TTR will not deliver. Stock it is very heavy and the suspension is very undersprung. I installed a Pro Circuit T4 slip on, re-jetted, Air Box mod. The throttle response it way better. Bogging out on climbs has improved greatly. But its no 450, never will be. This bike is a very reliable trail bike, that requires very low manitanence. So for those qualities I love it. But the weight is a problem. If I had to do it over I would have bought a DRZ 400 with a plate, WR 250R with a plate or KTM 450 EXC with a plate. The DRZ would have a little better power, tons of mods available, estart but heavy and only a 5-speed tranny, but with a plate. The WR 250 R would be the bike I would buy right now, lighter, 6-speed and very reliable and trailworthy and I am a yamaha guy. The dream would be the KTM 450 EXC, this bike would do it all and be the closest thing to a race bike with a plate. But I dont like orange kool aid very much. Your 19 and probobly looking for something with a little more fun to it. So fix the 450 up and keep it going for a while. Unless you you want a nice little trail bike that will get you home.

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't the TTR250 have 6 gears? How many teeth can u go up on the rear sprocket while retaining the stock chain and chain guide? Do you think I could cut 10 lbs off the bike if i get rid of the headlight, taillight, use a lighter battery, and put on a Pro Circuit silencer? I'm pretty sure that'd make a huge difference since it's all high up on the bike.

What do ya'll think? Thanks, bill804