CRF 250R Engine shot at 72 hours

My dad bought me a brand new 2007 Honda CRF 250R back in 08'. I have 72 hours on the bike. The first 55-60 hours I was a beginner C rider and only the last 10 hours was I a B rider and really rode the bike hard and aggressive. Sure enough at 72 hours, the bike stalls and the kick starter locks up. We bring it in to our local shop and they found brass pieces in the engine and I lost both the top and bottom end. The have to re-metal the cylinder because its all scratched up, replace the valves because they are black and basically build a new engine. (those are just 2 of the things they have to do)

Has anyone else experienced loosing a Honda engine with so little hours? and is it worth keeping the bike or will my best bet be to sell the bike right away?

I heard that Honda's were temperamental and once something goes wrong its bad, and I will most likely run into more problems down the road.

My biggest question is, once this engine is fixed, will I run into more problems and cost me more money, when I could just buy a brand new bike now?

Thanks For All Your Help,

Josh

I just replaced my top/bottom end 2wks ago. Minus the replacing the cylinder

You should be at about $800 If you do it yourself. It isnt that difficult. Plus what ever a new cylinder sleeve cost you.

It is def. cheaper to go this way opposed to a new bike. You get new performance jitters when you fire it up!!!!

Alright. But, this shouldn't happen to a brand new bike at only 72 hours, When I am not a pro rider. Only the last 10 hours was I a B rider. If that statement is true, wont I fall into new problems down the road? and the bike being a 2007 model, does that change anything?

We had a similar meltdown in an 09 at around 30hrs.

It seams the crank should be serviced or replaced at around 40-45 hrs to be safe.

What happend is your lower rod bearing let go, which started a chain reaction of events, all bad. I'd question your shop as to wether or not you really need valve or head work. That area is not really involved in what happened at your lower end. Honda's are pretty good at not sending metal shavings beyond the oil filter, due to the oil system design. At 72 hrs you're valves are probably due for attention, but if it was starting ok and running ok leave the valves for future attention. Unless you have unlimited funds.

But to reduce the current financial burden of getting your motor back to a running state you typically need to replace the piston, cylinder, crank, and main bearings since you've got the motor down to that point anyway.

You have options as to wether or not to rebuild the crank or reline the cylinder.

Depending on how well your dealer treats you with parts discounts, its usually a wash when comparing the cost of new oem vs rebuilding your current parts, and always more reliable to purchase new.

Consider Ebay for parts as well. There are many folks selling Hot Rods cranks at around $200. Which I believe to be superior to OEM. And you can usually find Cylinder Works, or Athena piston/cylinder kits there for around $400.

Don't be tempted to buy used parts there. Unless you can be sure of the quality of the item.

If you can do the work yourself you can be back up and running with new parts for around $600.

Since when is 75 hours, So Little and "Like new" ??????

75 hours on a race bike is a lifetime, That bike should have had at least a top end, and if you were inspecting things right and changing your oil enough then there would have been signs.

I had heard that wasn't alot but now i realize that it is a lot. Now they are not going to rebuild the engine fully, just fix what needs to be fixed. Is that worthit to keep it? or should the engine be fully rebuilt and then run, or just buy a new bike?

I had heard that wasn't alot but now i realize that it is a lot. Now they are not going to rebuild the engine fully, just fix what needs to be fixed. Is that worthit to keep it? or should the engine be fully rebuilt and then run, or just buy a new bike?

Id say Replace What you have to, Probably a crank kit,Cylinder and piston kit, And gaskets/Fluids Ect. If your piston did detach and smack valves or whatever then you will have to replace that too. If not just make sure your valves seal good and their not tulip shaped, If their in spec and look/function how they should then their fine, Id replace the valve seals while its apart though (their cheap)

If i were you id take the oppertunity to put some nice components in it.

You will definitely be better off fixing it up and selling it, but now you will know what you have in your bike and when done right it will be reliable.

Are your options Fix this bike or get a brand new one ? Or what ?

Also ill bet 99% of shops are going to rip you a new one, They all try to sell you shit you dont need. Ive lost all faith in them.

Yes pretty much. From what I heard from the shop today, they def need to replace valves and re-metal the cylinder( if thats the right termanology). The cylinder is all scratched up. We are going to fix the bike no matter what. But we were thinking fix it up and trade it in for a brand new one, so we dont have to worry about problems down the road. I heard from a guy at the track he had a 08 and fixed things up and ran into problems and ended up with the short end of the stick, because he had to spend more money when it would have been cheaper to buy a new bike. So we thought fix it and sell it so that doesnt happen to us

Yes pretty much. From what I heard from the shop today, they def need to replace valves and re-metal the cylinder( if thats the right termanology). The cylinder is all scratched up. We are going to fix the bike no matter what. But we were thinking fix it up and trade it in for a brand new one, so we dont have to worry about problems down the road. I heard from a guy at the track he had a 08 and fixed things up and ran into problems and ended up with the short end of the stick, because he had to spend more money when it would have been cheaper to buy a new bike. So we thought fix it and sell it so that doesnt happen to us

Well ive never had work done at a shop (Beyond installing tires when i was on 85's), If they do the work right you should be fine.

If your bike grenades very few hours after they rebuild it and they insist its not their fault, keep a brick close by.

It seems to me like their going to charge you alot to rebuild, and then your going to take another hit by trading it in.

Ask them what the total they think it will be, If they have half a brain they can total up parts and give you an hour count. Then let us know that $$ Number.

Today they told me it will be up to 2 weeks and it will be atleast $1500. They will let me know tomorrow a better price. They are a great local shop( not a dealer) and they are not a rip off, more of a "wanna help you people than make money off the buisness."

Another thing to keep in mind is I need Suspension work, where i need it revalved and a new rear spring and some other stuff, like i need a new sprocket and chain. Does that change your opinion at all?

Edited by Jagerbom9

You can buy a new bike for 7 grand and in 70 hrs, be prepared to do the same thing over again. If you were just trail riding, you could expect 200 hrs out of the engine. Because you're running the hell out of this thing, time is not on your side. We've been getting roughly 30 hrs out of a bottom end on an 08. The key is knowing when it's about to go. If the engine starts to act as if it's fighting against you, it is and you need to shut it down and check it out. All the things you mentioned about the kick starter and stalling are warning signs. Better to be safe than sorry, so check it out right away. After 4 crankshafts and 140+hrs, we still have the same cylinder with little to no wear. At 116 hrs and the 3rd crankshaft, I replaced the valves and never adjusted them. I could have probably kept them in, but since I had it apart, I decided not to push my luck. I just installed the 4th crankshaft this weekend.

if you do end up changing bikes, sounds to me like you need either a 2 stroke, or a trail bike!

When I first get a bike, 70 hours can end up coming in 2-4 months for me! But I also ride at least one of my bikes every single day, except when its raining or snowing ­čśĆ

Okay Thanks for the input. I did see signs and thats when I stopped but it was too late. and I dont do trail riding with this bike, strictly motocross. And Charlie I understand what your saying, and is your point that to fix it up and keep running it or retire it and get a new bike and just make sure I am more aware of my bike and take better maintenance. I wont lie that is the main reason why it shot. I really, only ever did basic daily riding checkups with this bike, because it was my first MX bike and still learning. And once I became a fast rider maintenance was even more important I realized.

Alright. But, this shouldn't happen to a brand new bike at only 72 hours, When I am not a pro rider. Only the last 10 hours was I a B rider. If that statement is true, wont I fall into new problems down the road? and the bike being a 2007 model, does that change anything?

Sounds like you rode it hard and put it away wet. You even said you were an aggressive rider which will mean your motor is going to go out sooner than most.

The problem I have with the CRFs is that its a race bike but cannot take the abuse of racing it. They have an acceptable lifespan as a trail bike. For racing though, you need a big budget because the motor doesnt last long and sometimes have a meltdown. Imagine being a fast Enduro rider and having a failure 25 miles from the truck. That will change your Honda loyalty.

Racing ANYTHING costs money. Lots of it. Serious cash furnace. Get used to that or find another hobby!

MX is actually pretty cheap compared to other racing sports assuming you don't break yourself...

If you're going to stick with it, learning to do the work yourself can be worth it. The initial cost of tools and the early screwups will cost you even more $$$. But eventually you'll learn what you're doing.

Remember the manual suggests replacing the rings and piston at 15 hours.