Watkins ?

Watkins was good Sunday afternoon with some grooming and H2O. When did they put the little whoop section in heading south before you come back in front of the stands. That was a suprise on the first lap when I wasn't paying attention. They haven't made any changes in over a year so I wasn't ready for that. My fault.

What's all the dirt doing down by the PW track? Are they planning to make some changes? My son would like that.

They re-groomed and watered again in the afternoon... was a nice day. Those new rollers were a bit sketchy - they gave a heads-up on their outgoing phone message, but another reason to always roll the first lap slow. I saw a few fast dudes doing them double-double but most people were going on the left side where the humps had worn down some.

They re-groomed and watered again in the afternoon... was a nice day. Those new rollers were a bit sketchy - they gave a heads-up on their outgoing phone message, but another reason to always roll the first lap slow. I saw a few fast dudes doing them double-double but most people were going on the left side where the humps had worn down some.

I was there yesterday afternoon and the humps on the left side are really getting worn down - just my size now! but they were like concrete so I don't want to bite it in that section.

Yesterday, I was they only bike on the track and two quads. At 5:00 they laid down some water for the twilight special 4:00 to 8:00 for $10 and then a few more bikes showed up. By then it was time to pack it up and get to my sons baseball game.

I was there today and there were quite a few people. It was a nice ride to get out and turn some laps

As for that new section. I was trying it and it seems that if you tried to double double it the third hump doesnt have enough lip to get you over the last hump so they may want to touch that up a bit. And you have to come in preatty fast to double double it so i hope people can make that corner and not shoot off the track. I was staying to the left of it and was hitting it preatty fast but i was using the water truck road as a bail out point so it wasnt that bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I rode the track with that new section for the first time yesterday. I didn't have problems making the turn after the double-double, although I did see a few other guys sliding into the turn pretty hot. Maybe the humps have worn down making the double-double easier now, but following are my tips for getting through that section without drama.

Firstly, I approach on the center or the right side, which helps keep you out of the loosest dirt in the turn and makes you better positioned to attack/defend if there's a rider on your left. Secondly, you don't want to go in (to the doubles) too hot. It's possible to over-jump the second double, which will make it tough to stick the turn. So what I do is preload the suspension into the face of the second double in order to give me a bit more height and require less speed. I also aim to come up a hair short such that my back tire will clip the landing lip of the second double, and thus help to scrub speed. Additionally, I downshift in the air over the second double, so that I'll get more engine braking as soon as I land. If you have enough speed to clear the first double, you can virtually coast the second one if you do it right. Finally, don't forget that you have a front brake. As I land from the double, I immediately slow with both brakes with emphasis on the *front*. If you're locking up the rear going into that turn, then you're either not braking correctly or else you screwed up the second double.

Other guys may have a different approach, but this is what works for me. Hope it helps.

Pace

Great post, although I do something a bit different.

I generally come off the prior table in 3rd pinned. At the face of the first jump I realize that I completely forgot about the double double. I immediately lock up my rear brake causing me to slide off the first jump and then endo into the 2nd one. After banging my head off the handlebars I rock back as I case the last jump. This will then spring me upward landing me somewhere in the turn. I am still perfecting my case to preload technique. I immediately shake my head from side to side trying to indicate to all watching that I am better than that, or I will look down like I have a problem.

Please remember I am a trained professional, don't try this at home.

earl

Good stuff. Sometimes it seems rather mundane to double through timing sections in perfect synchronization, and it seems like your technique could be used to 'mix things up' a bit and get the adrenaline flowing. Not to mention the additional spectator value.

Cheers.

p.s LOL at the 'head shake' and 'look down'.

Rode at Watkins today and I thought the track was in good shape. They groomed and watered while I was there. I took a little helmet cam footage so you can see the grooming. Also about 2 minutes in is the little double double section that has been discussed in this thread.