Can i use airplane fuel to make my bike fly higher

Chris,

It used to be fairly common to run general aviation fuels in high performance cars and motorcycles, mainly because the higher octane ratings provided anti-knock properties.

This was mostly a concern in high compression engines.

Today, the use of aviation fuel would most likely do more harm to your engine than good. Your 450F engine is not designed for anything other than pump gas or fuels that are manufactured for specific use in your engine.

And given that your bike most likely has more than enough power on pump gas, you're only benefit to using a race fuel would be tuning or performance consistencies.

DaveJ

BS...... I have used 100LL on several occaisions with absolutely no problems. The only reason I don't use it regularly is that it cost's too much... Every now and then when I'm out at the FBO I still hijack a couple of gallons to mix with my regular gas..... Cleans the carbon off the piston for sure... Just like Race gas....

Bonzai ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't see a problem with 100LL (or 100 blue we call it). The extra lead will lubricate the valves just fine, and may be beneficial to use from time to time for that reason. But since our bikes are designed for pump gas, its just waste of money and octane for the most part. Also keep in mind that running the higher lead fuels will lead to an engine running hotter, for you race guys its probably not a big deal, but the woods/trails guys it may cause the bike to spew a little more often.

I use 100LL in my 4strokes and 2strokes with out any problems at all.Mainly because I get it for free.It burns clean and dosnt gum up the fuel system if you dont get around to riding one of the bikes or quads for a while. ๐Ÿ™‚

Ive got a Yz450 and it runs great, my dad Flys a light aircraft and said i should try running avation fuel, is it a good idea?

Actually, the "don't use aviation fuel in your motorcycle" thing refers mostly for 2-strokes, as the additives in aviation fuel can cause trouble with oil/gas separation and/or scuffing due to that.

As most aircraft engines (say a typical Cessna) are 4-stroke engines, you can safely use avgas in your 4-strok mx bike, it won't hurt it. However, you just might find that it runs just as good (maybe better) on premium pump gas..

Having a fuel that will "work" and one that is proper for the bike sounds like an interesting debate.

I'll have to assume that aviation fuel is a low lead grade mixture, (hence the name) meaning that any incompatibility between the valve and valve seats is going to be minor and may not present any concerns for many miles or hours of riding.

Additionally, there is some responsibility associated with using a leaded and unleaded product - that's up to you.

Lastly is the matter of benefit over cost. If you get the stuff for free you just may have a valid argument. For all others, I think pump gas or some version of compliant race fuel is where your money is best spent.

Perhaps someone can offer some photos of what lead does to an engine when it's not designed to run a leaded fuel.

DaveJ

Perhaps someone can offer some photos of what lead does to an engine when it's not designed to run a leaded fuel.

...I don't think there is any detrimental effects, other than timing being a little off. Lead lubricates valves, back in the seventies when they took lead away from us, the motor companies had to come up with a metal formulation that didn't require so much lead. My numbers may be off, but old leaded pump gas was 0.25g lead per gallon, Low Lead Blue is 2g/gal. and uleaded pump gas is something like 0.05g/gal. I used to run Low Lead Blue in my old BOSS 302 from time to time just to get the valves re-lubed, but back to unleaded for day to day driving.

In the July MXA they havea test of a CR480 (over-bored 450). They state that just the over-bore resulted in 49.6 hp. Adding a Pro Circuit pipe and running VP fuel added 2 more hp. Did the fuel have anything to do with the added hp? I was under the impression that increasing octane did not increase hp. The MXA article sounds like it does.

Would running race gas (104) in my YZ450 yield more power?

In the July MXA they havea test of a CR480 (over-bored 450). They state that just the over-bore resulted in 49.6 hp. Adding a Pro Circuit pipe and running VP fuel added 2 more hp. Did the fuel have anything to do with the added hp? I was under the impression that increasing octane did not increase hp. The MXA article sounds like it does.

Better, or 'Race' fuel does NOT add power!!!!!

race fuel is all about safety, it allowes you to run your engine in a higher state of tune without ill effects. THAT is the only way that race fuel contributes to more power. Or it gives you extra safety and a bit more consistance on a stock engine.

Aviation fuels are designed for a high RON number, bikes need a high MON number. If yu have no idea what i am referring to, please do some research. Then draw your own conclusions. Yes aviation fuel will most likely work, as would junk 2 year old 85 ocatne pump gas.

Yea, I may eat my words on that one. I thought the lead would cause problems for the seats and guides designed for unleaded fuel. Perhaps it's just an environmental issue. I'll see

PortGrinder - you're right about the consistency issue, but I would disagree that some race fuels do increase horsepower outside of octane related issues.

MXA was using VP Ultimate-4 race fuel, it is an "enhanced" race fuel that contains a larger amount of oxygenated components that WILL increase power a bit with PROPER jetting. you cannot just stick it in the tank and get more power unles you richen the jetting to match. More oxygen = more fuel needed. This fuel is currently ILLEGAL for AMA competition. And at $8-$9 per gallon, you either need it realbad or have a lot of money to :lol:spend

Again, regular "race" fuel (higher octane) will NOT increase power over good pump gas, with the caveat that your engine is not detonating/knocking from too low octane to begin with. If it runs good on 94 octane gas, increasing to 104 octane will do nothing, in fact, too high of an octane rating and the fuel burns to slowly....