Spider Lakes RMV, Mn.

Anyone have info not listed on the DNR site? Any thoughts or recomendations? I plan on taking my nephew there during the 4th of July time frame. His dad is currently in Iraq and not expected to return in time. I live in NC and told him I'd take him riding during a family reunion near Battle Lake. He is a fairly skilled 9 year old, xr70 pilot. Any info would be helpful.

Here is the link to get trail maps and directions: MN DNR OHV Trails

You'll have fun at Spider, but make sure an adult is up front with headlight on if you have one. There are mostly ATV's there and trails are all both directions. Alot of the trails are closed because of ATV damage, but I was there 2 weeks ago and there is some fun to be had for sure.

Spider is trail number 27 on the DNR site. Also check out trail number 12, Martineau. This is only public single track in Minnesota, only about 40 miles from Spider. I recommend the trails on the east side of the highway as they are well established. Last weekend they had AMA sponsored enduro race, try to follow that route. You may need to help the little one out several times but you should have alot of fun there. There are alot of wider, easier trails also, just head out from the trail head, you'll see what I mean when you are there.

Have fun!! If camping, be sure to bring some good mosquito repellant!

x2

I almost forgot, make sure the bikes all have DNR stickers and numbers on the rear. You can get the stickers at any DMV (licence)place, $15 for 3 years. The numbers need to be visable from the back. The rulebook says you need a plate with numbers and stickers, but the Wardens realize that there is no good way to attach a plate

When at Martineau a couple of weeks ago, I got a warning ticket because the numbers were not displayed, even though we had stickers. Next time would be an $85 ticket per bike! Best way to apply is buy a set of vinly numbers at a hardware or stationary store, apply them along with the sticker and then clear coat them with a clear lacquer or acrylic. If you don't coat them, you'll lose them the first time you wash the bike.

x2

You will need to provide the make, year, model, engine size (cc's), your name and address, the VIN # and possibly the engine # (have that written down just in case).

I know it doesn't make much sense that you need the 3 year sticker being that you are from out of state. Now if you had an ATV that was registered in another state, that would be OK, but not with MC's!

Hopefully your nephews bike is already registered. Odds are real good that you will be checked if you are at Spider on the weekend. If you are a gambling man, they might only give a warning ticket, just act ignorant.

x2

Thanks, I don't mind paying to ride as long as it's not way out of line. I just don't like waiting in line to pay. I plan on hitting it during the week as that there will be fewer riders to contend with. Again-thanks

During the week will be great! There are some forest roads north of Spider, if you find a detailed county map they will be shown along with some power lines about 5-10 miles in. Your nephew can keep a good clip on these roads and the power lines have some fun hills and sand. Just cross highway 2 from the Spider Lake area. More great Minnesota scenic woods and small lakes are there, but the Spider area will also give you a good sample of why we outdoors types like it here.

Have fun!

• 2 weeks later...

We had a real good time at Spider. Thanks for the power line info. The power line hills were the best part. The XR 70 met its match. My DRZ 400 (with more then one mod) was in its element. My sister's nephew had a blast on his first time out. He thought the hills were,“right on”. He is now looking for a used bike. Thanks