If you had a week to ride in NW, where would you go?

I am burning some vacation time and am looking for some new riding spots to explore. I have August 7th-14th to hit a couple of spots. I frequent juniper forest and have done naches a few times. Right now we are looking at Ukiah and Spinreel in Oregon. We will be tent caming and have spark arrestors tabs but are not street legal (CRF 450r/x). Would like to do some single track/ woods riding and possibly some dunes. Anyone have some suggestions?

EDIT: I am coming from the Tri Cities, I would rather not drive more than 8 hours or so.

Edited by Turtle Bite
Location.

In the near future I'll be spending some time with a dirt bike and without hard-walled shelter. I live in Hillsboro now, but home will be southern Oregon by the time I get to this.

Planning on:

Fri to Sun, DS around Mt Hood with friends

Mon to Thurs, Go to Little Natches and area north of that solo

Fri to Mon, Jordan Creek TSF, same friends

Tue to Fri, Gifford solo, exploring and trail working, and reserve a decent sized camping spot.

Fri to Sun, Friends show up to Gifford

Mon, go home, hopefully not smelling like death.

Being from the westside, I personally would explore as much of eastern washington as i could. Naches, Green Dots, Taneum, mattawa, moses. but you guys probably go there more than i have. China Hat is another on my list. if you made it to the westside, you could hit belfair, capital forest, Walker Valley, Jones creek. etc.

WAY too hot in august to "explore" moses,juniper,moab,and east fort rock ( awesome though they may be).....look to do mad lake, then naches ( or taneum) then gifford so you run a loop north to south then back home. i just did gifford and taneum last week and would have done mad too if the upper trails were open. 2 days at giff and 3 at taneum really hit the spot!

Joe

Moab ๐Ÿ˜

That would be awesome, but a little far.

WAY too hot in august to "explore" moses,juniper,moab,and east fort rock ( awesome though they may be).....look to do mad lake, then naches ( or taneum) then gifford so you run a loop north to south then back home. i just did gifford and taneum last week and would have done mad too if the upper trails were open. 2 days at giff and 3 at taneum really hit the spot!

Joe

Im tired of moses and juniper, and yes they are miserable right now.

Looks like Gifford Pinchot is pretty unanimous. I have never been, any suggestions for maps or at least a place to set up camp at? I found this webpage, http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/trailbikes/index.shtml

Any suggestions for maps of Gifford? The ones they link to on the webpage are a little small.

I need to look through my maps and see if I have one with the mad lake area on it.

Thanks for the ideas guys, even if i get totally lost it cant be worse than work:ride:

I am burning some vacation time and am looking for some new riding spots to explore. I have August 7th-14th to hit a couple of spots. I frequent juniper forest and have done naches a few times. Right now we are looking at Ukiah and Spinreel in Oregon. We will be tent caming and have spark arrestors tabs but are not street legal (CRF 450r/x). Would like to do some single track/ woods riding and possibly some dunes. Anyone have some suggestions?

EDIT: I am coming from the Tri Cities, I would rather not drive more than 8 hours or so.

I do this for a week every summer.

I hit Foggy Dew-Martin Creek and then head up to Little Pend Orielle and Radar Dome Mountain. These are both a ways away from you but well worth riding.

Greg

in this heat???๐Ÿ˜ maybe in october-november.

Joe

You're darn right. I grew up there, I learned to ride in this heat. All I did in the summers growing up was ride; aside from working, that is. I go out there every chance I get. I'd rather be in the dry heat of the desert, than the semi muggy heat of the valley any day.