What to watch for KLX300...?

I'm considering a KLX300 for my son's next bike. What are the common problem areas to watch out for? Any specific issues on this bike?

difficult maintenance

common problems

etc.

Intake valves don't last long.

The bushing in the idler gear in kick start mechanism wears out and can cause $$$ failure.

Mainentance is typical and fairly easy.

Suspension should be set up to the riders weight, riding style and terrain. The stock suspension is not so good.

Ride on

Brewster

Is the KLX300 motor similar in style to a "high strung" KX250f, or more of a lower rpm torquey trail motor?

Older design 4-stroke technology, but still more similar to today's high strung racing 4-strokes than air cooled XR and DR technology. The KLX300/250 is a low stress motor that's not really in the same league as the KX250F version. This was a bike and engine designed to be lower maintenance, cheaper priced trail bike. It's a good bike, and it fits a niche that many want.

Intake valves don't last long.

The bushing in the idler gear in kick start mechanism wears out and can cause $$$ failure.

Mainentance is typical and fairly easy.

Suspension should be set up to the riders weight, riding style and terrain. The stock suspension is not so good.

Ride on

Brewster

I was looking at one of these for my son as well. Is there anyway of checking this on a used bike? After how many hours may this acure? Has this problem been corrected and if so what year? Thanks ­čśĆ