How Long Can the Motor Last?

If a bike is ridden easily and not ridden with a "ride it like you stole it" mentality, how long can a modern MX 4 stroke 250/450 motor last before it needs to be rebuilt? Of course, proper maintenance will be followed like changing the oil at proper intervals, using a clean air filter, carb jetted properly, valves adjusted properly, etc.

An XR can't even compare to a modern MX 4 stroke. That's like comparing apples and lettuce. XR's can run forever and ever!

I agree. The XR250R I bought must have a few thousand miles on it and I continue to put more on and it never misses a tick.

I'm more interested in how long 250/450 racing machines can last.

When not beaten on, and with the oil changed often a modern 4 stroke MX bike can last for a long long time before needing a set of rings. There are plenty of guys going on 250-300 hours with original valves, pistons and rings. Some even have more.

It probably wont have as much power as brand new, but more then enough to be acceptable.

Do a yearly leak down test. Check valves and cam chain. It will last a long time if not abused, especially if babied. My buddy had a 2001 YZF 426, raced in a vet class for 4 of those years (not a lot of rev limiter time) and tore it down last year. It did not need it yet.