DR650SE Clutch Question

Folks, I just purchased a 2006 DR650SE. I love the bike but am wondering if the feel of this clutch is just the general nature of the DRs. The clutch play/travel is adjusted properly per the manual. However, when I pull the clutch and put it in 1st gear, the gear tends to slam while engaging a bit. I pull the lever all the way back to fully disgengage the clutch before shifting into 1st. Is this normal? It seems to shift fine while driving.

My XR250R doesn't do this when going from Neutral to 1st while parked.

Mine has a pronounced "Clunk" when shifting into first at a stop or during downshifting while aproaching a stop light. I've had several bikes over the years that have done the same thing (Including my Gixxer). I wouldn't worry about it. JMHO

Yep, totally normal on the big DR. Hold the clutch lever in for a few moments before snicking it into gear... that gives the clutch hub and tranny components a chance to slow down a bit. This is especially good to do when you first start the bike after sitting awhile. Running an oil that is too thick for your climate will exacerbate the issue.