What fork seals to use?

I am gonna try replacing fork and dust seals on my 01 XR250. This will be a first for me as I am new to the dirt bike thing. What seals are preferred. I was looking at the MSR seal and wiper package but have read some bad reviews. Some people just say to go with OEM stuff. Do I need to get the syringe thing for measuring? I see TUSK has one for about $20.

The bushings are supposed to wear on the XR250 pretty quick. I replaced the oil in my 2004 XR250R with some good stuff from Bel-Ray and installed stiffer springs while it was still almost a virgin. The old oil was already not looking too good. Hopefully, the new oil will prolong things a bit.

If I were you and my seals were leaking, I'd replace the bushings and all while I was in there... and do it with quality parts. May as well install some stiffer fork springs while you are at it, if you haven't already.

There are some good online write-ups, and a downloadable service manual that should point you in the right direction for the mechanical details.

As for the oil level, don't fool with the graduated cup/syringe. Most usually just measure the oil level from the top with everything assembled, but the springs not yet installed. It should come around 3.5" from the top of the tube with the forks fully compressed when full.

My springs are 0.43kg/mm Eibachs purchased from XR's Only. The stockers were 17.5" long, and these were 17". They came with some clear plastic pipe and big washers to make spacers from, so I just cut out 0.25" from the plastic, and flanked it with two of the 1/8" thickness washers. I used 5W oil. Major improvement in the suspension! I could now turn the compression down in the forks, and they still don't bottom out. MUCH smoother ride.

Good Luck!

Thanks for that information. I will look into that Maxima 5w. I have a Cycle Gear right near me. As far as replacing the springs , I honestly dont think I have enough time riding my bike to know what I would or wouldn't want. I dont think I would be able to tell you what is right or wrong with my set up at this point, lol. For now I will just try to get the seals replaced, and possibly the bushings (does that require any special tools). The guy I bought the XR from gave me a Honda Service Manual so that should help.

Your weight will be the biggest indicator of which fork springs you need. The stock springs are very weak, and not suitable to most riders. If you provide your weight, people here can get you right in the ballpark.

Here's an excellent link for doing the forks on an XR250R!

http://www.flightoftheplatypus.net/2007/11/maintaining-your-front-suspension.html

Good Luck!

Your weight will be the biggest indicator of which fork springs you need. The stock springs are very weak, and not suitable to most riders. If you provide your weight, people here can get you right in the ballpark.

Here's an excellent link for doing the forks on an XR250R!

http://www.flightoftheplatypus.net/2007/11/maintaining-your-front-suspension.html

Good Luck!

great writeup. i'll have to do this eventually, quick question, how does that bottom plug thread onto the damper rod? it looks like there is a nut on the top of the plug and then some sort of triangle nut on the bottom of the damper rod?

Instead of the 'first' special tool, for a lot of other (granted street forks) I've done, you can do this part by having a helper compress the forks (putting a lot of downward holding force on the damper rod) and taking an impact gun to the bottom bolt and it spins right off, would that work here probably?

for fork seals i've heard good things about the moose ones. used them on a TTR, but only 20 hours or so. Otherwise OEM is pretty good stuff esp if ur going to get bushings to match.

I weigh 165/170 without gear , so where does that put me with the stock springs? New rider but pretty adventurous.

Probably the 0.43kg/mm Eibachs. I believe I bought mine from XR's Only for $99.

Good Luck!