Strapping down a Dirt Bike...

Put the front wheel against the front of the trailer, centered side to side. Strap the tie down to the handle bars near the clamps, and on the trailer as far to the outside as you can. The trailer wall looks tall enough that you shouldn't need tiedowns to the back. If you don't use a fork brace, make sure you compress the forks at least half way so they hold themselves. If you do use one just strap it as tight as you can. Shake the bike when you're done to check that it doesn't come loose.

Use cam or ratchet straps, not rope. It is possible to tie a bike securely with rope, but if you're on here asking how to tie a bike down, well, don't use rope.

P1000573.jpg

We just went thru this on the XR forum. Your trailer is similar to a PU box so your option are similar. I've hauled dirt bikes since the sixties and the school of hard knocks has taught me a few things. I always use four straps, two on each end, so if a strap fails or slips there is a back up. The front straps are usually attached to the handle bars and in a side view should go down close to parallel to the forks and out at an angle that will keep the bike upright. The rear straps should also go out at an angle that will keep the bike upright and back a bit to counteract the front straps.

You need to provide a chock for the front wheel or turn it into a front corner. My last truck had a long bed and I had chocks on the front lip of the bed to hold the wheels straight. My current truck is a short bed so I position front wheels into the corner of the bed. I then added tie down eyes that I bought at Home Depot (big chrome eyes) and used my own bolts and washers to attach them to my bed. One is at the front of the bed in the center on the floor. Two more on each side about two feet back and a foot off the floor. And finally two more on the floor in each rear corner. In addition my PU has eyes about 18" above the floor in each corner. I can carry up to three bikes and have them securely tied into the truck.

OrangeZ picture shows the correct angle for the front straps. When I hauled with a rail trailer I also tied down the rear with a pair of straps AND tied the rear rim to the rail. Like I said; "school of hard knocks".

For straps I use 2" wide motorcycle tie downs with soft straps on the top to protect my handle bars and carrabiner clips on the bottom so they stay connected to the bed eyes during loading. On the rear I use Home Depot one inch wide Ancra style adjustable hook straps.

WWhen I hauled with a rail trailer I also tied down the rear with a pair of straps AND tied the rear rim to the rail. Like I said; "school of hard knocks".

I do that too after an "incident", I just took them off before I got around to taking pictures.

Managed to flip the thing yesterday!

Narrow trailer + motorcycle on left side only + tight right hand turn + some bumps in pavement + not even going that fast = ­čśĆ :smirk: