klx300/kdx200 compatability

Isn't that the only real difference between the two that one is a two stroke and the other a four stroke?

In looking at a site that has a pictorial history of the KDX200, it appears that they came with a conventional fork for either all or most of its manufacture period. The KLX300 had a USD fork for a longer period. I think there are many obvious and subtle commonalities and differences.

why would anyone want to do this?

:banana:

Because i have a 95 kdx 200 that has a verry strong motor but horrible suspension, and the motor on my 02 klx has a cracked case. You can do the math. I guess the question i should be asking is how difficult would it be to swap the suspension. Is the head tube the same diameter? if so its just a matter of swapping the crownrace and tripple clamp right?

Isn't that the only real difference between the two that one is a two stroke and the other a four stroke?

They appear very similar, but there are differences in rear suspension geometry (KDX has more travel front and rear) and in overall frame geometry as well. The KLX has a much taller engine thus the frame spars have a wider angle where theymeet the swingarm pivot. Putting a KDX engine in the KLX frame would leave a ton of open space under the fuel tank.

As far as engine swaps go, you could put the KDX angine in the KLX frame without much issue, but going the other way would be the exact opposite. I did a bit of research into putting a KLX mill into a KX250 frame and found that it not be an easy task. The tall nature of the KLX mill would either make dropping the engine location within the frame a necessity, or reworking the spars and fuel tank to give clearance. Not sure if I want to go that far.

All in all I can't figure out why anyone would want to swap a KDX mill in place of the KLX in the KLX frame. The KDX is already lighter, has more suspension travel, better forks and is a legendary off-road machine already. The KLX is also a great machine, but is not on the same level as the KDX as far as I am concerned. One is a trail bike with a stellar engine surrounded by sub par componentry while the other is a stellar off-road machine capable of competition out of the box.

They appear very similar, but there are differences in rear suspension geometry (KDX has more travel front and rear) and in overall frame geometry as well. The KLX has a much taller engine thus the frame spars have a wider angle where theymeet the swingarm pivot. Putting a KDX engine in the KLX frame would leave a ton of open space under the fuel tank.

As far as engine swaps go, you could put the KDX angine in the KLX frame without much issue, but going the other way would be the exact opposite. I did a bit of research into putting a KLX mill into a KX250 frame and found that it not be an easy task. The tall nature of the KLX mill would either make dropping the engine location within the frame a necessity, or reworking the spars and fuel tank to give clearance. Not sure if I want to go that far.

All in all I can't figure out why anyone would want to swap a KDX mill in place of the KLX in the KLX frame. The KDX is already lighter, has more suspension travel, better forks and is a legendary off-road machine already. The KLX is also a great machine, but is not on the same level as the KDX as far as I am concerned. One is a trail bike with a stellar engine surrounded by sub par componentry while the other is a stellar off-road machine capable of competition out of the box.

Some is and some is not. I'm shopping for new bike for my son. The two I'm looking at is the KDX220 and the KLX300 both great bikes. The KLX has inverted forks that have rebound adjustment. The KDX does not and are not adjustable. They both have steel frames. The KLX has a steel swingarm and the KDX has aluminum. The KDX is about 12# lighter. The seat heights are the same. This is a 2005.So I clearly don't see why you would swap one motor to another.

the motor swap is obviously out of the question, but to say that the kdx suspension is superior based on the amount of travle is a huge mistake. Compression, damper and stiffness are much more important factors in determining the quality of a fork. I am coming from experience in the fact that own both bikes. I agree the kdx motor is OUT OF THE BOX superior but i prefer the suspention on the klx. This is why im interested in putting my forks and shocks on the kdx. I found another website that gives the details on the fork swap but does anyone have info on the rear shock swap. ( the stock one is in poor shape).

I just put 91-94 KDX250 forks on my 04 KDX. I just did the conversion this weekend from 94 KDX200 forks, which I put on my 03 KDX. I like the 250 forks because they are rubber mounted and are 43mm. But I also had the conven forks and I say even the 41 forks worked way better. The only different parts between the early 90s KDX USD forks and the conven forks after 95 is the triple trees, and axle, everything else bolts up! there are only 5 parts I think that are different and they are those mentioned above, the axle, axle nut, bottom triple, stem, upper triple. Its so easy to convert and the performance is wayy better. I changed both my KDX front ends out this weekend. I have some conven forks with gold valves on them if anyone wants those instead of just stock conven forks. they really do work better and they have stiffer springs, not sure on the rate, but stiffrer than the already soft stock.

ASG thats good imput thank you. I was looking at it last night and there are a lot of parts that match right up. The good news is i have the ENTIRE front end from my klx, including tire, axle, hub, brake (unbled) tripple and the head light! this is going to be easy. Another web site i found said the only extra part i'll need to do the swap is a spacer at the top of the stearing stem (could be a bolt or steel tubing). I'm gonna swap out the seats too. the one thats on there is blue and my klx seat is black. I just orderd the 02 black, green, and white graphics kit for also. This is gonna be sweet! I'll try to post some before and after pics when im done.

thanks remember though i have an entire klx 300 at my disposal. I have already compleated the job. It was sooo easy. Everything bolted right on. I didnt even have to swap the stem. I posted some pics of the before and after on flickr. Im posting this from my cell so when i get to a computer i'll post the link.

Here are the pics. This is a much better upgrade. The whole job only took me about an hr or so. I have some new stickers and a mx style rear fender comming too. This will be the best looking kdx in town. Not to metion the performance is awsome. the inaugural ride was so much fun it corners at higher speeds much better and its not afraid of catching a little air now. The stock setup is great for 2nd gear trails but any thing over that it was just to mushy. I would recomend anyone try this upgrade its well worth it!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/31838140@N07/with/4865972410/ (you'll also see a couple pics of me on my yzf)

Thanks asg. Hey i noticed your logo on your profile is a mt bike. Before moved to FL I lived in Portland OR. Spent most of my time on a mt bike. (when there was no snow) If you ever get the chance to explore the pacific NW check out Mt. Hood. Its some of the best riding you can do without a motor.

Nevada Huh. Yeah i would say so. FL isnt exactly airconditioned either. We have the humidity too. Trust me i have been to canyon lands in the summer Its a parradise compared to the swamp. It makes jetting a huge issue.