ALL WET-bike was complete under water

Hello

I went riding near the Red River in Northern Texas and hit a very deep hole and ended up taking a header into the Red River. My bike was complete under 3ft of water for 5 minutes and is full of sand, water and mud. I have taken the carb, muffler, air filter, gas tank, spark plug, etc out of the bike. The muffler was completely full of water and so was the crankcase. The oil was drained and was full of water.

Any suggestions on how to clean the bike up? Should I consider taking it completely apart and doing a rebuild? I am definitely worried about sand in the crank case.

Any suggesions would be appreciated. I can do all the work myself.

2003 KTM SX (4 stroke)

Kevin

Edited by FojeKL

I would re-build it. If just the smallest spec of sand got inside the motor, rather it being two stroke or four stroke, could have catastrophic effects next time you crank it up. Plus, water in the bearings could cause them to seize and then you'd have even more problems on your hands. If you're going to do it, do it right!

I would re-build it. If just the smallest spec of sand got inside the motor, rather it being two stroke or four stroke, could have catastrophic effects next time you crank it up. Plus, water in the bearings could cause them to seize and then you'd have even more problems on your hands. If you're going to do it, do it right!

If its a 4t the bearings are in oil and wont rust...IMO

I've done this, and pulled the top end appart and used diesel fuel in the tranny to clean out all the water

I did not have sand get into the bottom end, but i did have who knows what get into the top end via the airfilter and exhaust, if your airfilter was dirty, all that dirt went right in with the water

the entire intake tract and carb will have to be taken down and cleaned out

If its a 4t the bearings are in oil and wont rust...IMO

You're still not completely guaranteed that all the water will get out. Look at it like when a car blows a head gasket. Water gets into the bottom of the motor and sits there. Keeps sitting there, till it rusts out your bearings. I wouldn't take any chances, especially with how expensive everything is today.