New '07 WR250: Review vs. other woods bikes

This is just one middle-aged, fat guys opinion. I have been riding for nearly 30 year though and have been on many bikes over the years.

I have been a long time lurker and have asked you all advice several times on wether or not to pull the trigger on a WR250. I have always shy'd away from the bike due to it being a 250f and a thumper. I have known about it's reliability and other good traits for several years. I have even spent several miles on my buddies '05 WR250 and always enjoyed his bike, although my '07 feels very different than his. I think the updated aluminum frame radically changed the personality of this bike.

So, I finally pulled the trigger on an '07 WR250 that had about 500 miles on it. It was in near new condition and had all free mods done, Full Cycra handguards, FMF Q exhaust and jetted spot on. Other than that, all stock.

My impressions after 5 rides is that this a very under-rated bike. I think many feel it is a "beginners" or "girls" bike. But, in its element, this is a great scoot. I feel this bike is one of the best woods bike I have ever been on. It is perfectly suited for 2nd-3rd gear woods riding. I am a B rider, 40 yrs. old and like to ride tight woods. I ride a couple of events a year and most of my riding is at a fast trail pace. I also have 3 sons who ride and it is spot on for family days as well.

I live in Oregon and 90% of my riding is in tight, rocky, rooted, woods. This bike simply works in this type of environment.

The suspension is very nice and soaks up the woods obstacles very well. It may be a bit on the soft side when speeds pick up and whoops are in play, but otherwise it is spot on.

The bike has a very nice layout and the ergos are slim and compact for a 5'10" rider. This bike can be flicked around as well as any 200 or 250 2-stroke I have been on. It rails in the corners and holds its line very well.

The power is simply perfect for the riding I am interested in. It puts power to the ground very well and has enough snap to loft the front end when needed. It does not wear you out and if you ride in the upper revs, it can "rip".

A few negatives. I feel the gearing is bit too gappy for a 250f, but I have added a 12T CS sprocket and that seems to be just about right. Although the bike is amazingly slim, the small tank makes for long days of riding a challenge. A 2.5 gal. would have been just right. A bit more low end power on tap would be nice, but I have not found any hill it wont climb, so I dont know why I am complaining.

The comparison with other bikes includes a KTM200 exc, KTM250 mxc, WR450, Gasgas EC250 and highly modded KDX220.

Other than the WR450, I have been on 2-strokes over the past 6 seasons. Many of these bikes are regarded as the best woods bikes on the planet, including the Gasser.

The 450 I only owned briefly and although it was very fun to have all of the power on tap, it simply is too heavy and too much bike for the woods riding I described.

The 2-strokes are extremely fun bikes in the woods and have several high points, including light weight, flickable, good snap, etc., etc.

But, I acutally feel the little thumper is easier to ride and puts power to the ground so well that it is simply spot on for tight woods riding. I feel like I can go faster for longer with this bike and it tackles all the rocks, roots and obstacles with ease. It is more planted than the 2-strokes and tracks a line in amazing fashion where a 2-stroke would be defelecting. Because of the engine braking, I feel it can be pushed in the corners better than a 2-stroke and of course it is nice for steep descents. The 2-stroke is more busy as well with clutching and braking, but the little WR can be ridden more "lazy" which feels to me like I can go faster without working at it.

I kind of feel like I have a little hidden gem here and it is fun when guys ask "Is that a little 250?".

My next mods or additions are Flatland skidplate and rad guards, Scotts damper and I am putting on my Dunlop 803 trials tire. This will give me the ultimate "woods weapon".

So, that is my story with this little woods weapon. What is your story?

Feel your enthusiasm, and raise you one. I took a clapped out 03 YZ250F, rebuilt the motor, put in a WR tranny and geared it down to 12X52, got the suspension sorted out and softened up, added a GUTS Racing soft seat foam, bar risers, new tires, and a skid plate. Except for lights and e-start, I got a 219 lb WR that will haul.

Very nice! Sounds like you have your woods weapon well sorted.

I rode my buddies '05 yz250f with some woods mods a couple of weeks ago. Very nice motor, nice and snappy.

I considered a yz250f and doing the same woods setup, but stumbled on the WR which was a great deal and couldnt pass it up.

After being out of the woods for 9 years and off the track for 7, I wanted a bike that was easy to ride and had the power to lug my butt up and down the hills in Eastern and western washington, being as i last had a 2000 Yz 250 2 stroke, thought it was a great woods bike. I was tempted to get another but was talked out it at the dealership and i'm really glad i was, i think the bike is great, plenty of power and light weight, i'm rally enjoying the fact that the bike isn't driving my butt into the dirt like a heavyer bike would, especially as i'm just a few clicks away from the top of the hill. ­čśĆ

Yea did all the mods, also added hand guards, full skid plate, Moose rad guards, rear disk guard, ect..

Your story is similar to mine. I have (untill this week) a TE 450 as well. I love both bikes. I find the 250 to be such a forgiving gal in the bush, she compensates a lot for some poor line decisions I seem to make. I use the yammy for rides where I know it will be tight all day v's the husky on mixed terrain days. The Yammy is sooo flickable, and easy to ride hour on hour. The suspension is set for trails not MX. The plushness is part of its joy to ride. I have gone up two teeth on the rear sprocket and that is great for me. I will keep her for another 2 years and hopefully buy a WR250efi by then. I will get the new Husky coming out in Oct as well.

the only bad thing ive found on mine is ground clearance. i found out the hard way in some extreme mud harescrambles this spring. you have to pick your lines a lot better then i used too on the ktm's.

i am seriously considering a big bore kit for mine. i came from a ktm 300 and i miss being able to lug around in 3rd gear, i have to ride in 2nd most of the time on this bike and rev it out.

I have a Gasgas EC250 that is similar to the KTM300 in its ability to lug.

I like the fact that you can ride the WR at mid throttle though. It is just enough to get perfect traction while not wearing you out and you just have to hit the upper revs to really fly. The power is so linear that it outways the lugging of my 2-strokes IMO.

I ride tight woods with both a 07 WR250F and a 07 YZ250F. My YZF is my woods race and moto play bike, while the WR is my bike for trail working and trail riding after the trail work is done. Two great bikes.

I found my WR with the free mods to be a little low on power, so I gave it Hotcam Stg 1 intake and a Yam YZF exh cam. Also, I plugged off the coast enrichment system to settle down the engine during the lower rpms. For exhaust, I found a great ebay deal on new Yam GYTR 96db muffler. The muffler works pretty good, BUT in absolutely no way, is it 96 db in stock form. It tested at 98.5 db (I have our club's sound tester in my garage). The problem is, that the snorkel is just a bit too short and the exiting sound catches the edge of the blunt nose cone. Weird, I wonder why Yam did that?... So, I welded a 5/16" long extension to the outlet snorkel and then the sound dropped to 94 db. I think a FMF Q4 would be an equal performer. With all those engine mods, now the power is pretty good on my WR. The stock gearing is just fine, and in fact, I plan to drop a tooth on the rear sprocket to spread the gears out a little.

For suspension, I found the fork to be a bit too soggy for my preferences. It was fine until I hit sand whoops or I wicked it up good. (I'm an A rider and I like to ride YZF style). I have installed the Smart Performance WR fork kit. I haven't had a lot of ride time on it yet, but from what I see, the kit works very well. I have not done anything for the rear yet.

Overall, the bike seems to be really nice. It steers very good, it feels reasonably light, motors right along, etc. Overall, it is certainly raceable and I would not hestitate to use it for A class racing if my YZ250F were not available that day.

Fir, Yea, the ticket is getting the WR. It already has an offroad suspension. I've ridden a WR400, and after riding my 250, I prefer the tighter suspension and less weight. This bike has far more capability in it than I have as a rider. But I will say I'm the fastest on this bike than any bike I've ever owned. The KTMs do come close, and its an easy switch for me to go between my 98 EXC and the 03 250F, but the light weight puts the Yamaha on top for me. Good post!

I've had my 2007 WR250F for two seasons now and experienced zero problems so far. All stock except free mods. Very fun and comfortable bike to ride in the Colorado mountains singletrack. Reliability is excellent and performance works great for me. Solid choice for anyone shopping for a woods bike. I'm 6'0" and the cockpit is good. I just need to get some tad taller bars for standing.

Sounds like the little thumper has great customer satisfaction!

Even Gasgas borrowed the motor to put in their 250f.

I will get a chance to run it against my brother's Gasgas EC250 in some good singletrack on Monday. Should be a good showdown as we are both on equal levels of riding ability.

BTW, Just got my box from Flatland. Skidplate and rad guards! Should be ready for anything the woods has to offer now.

sooooo......I've morphed my 2005 Drz 400S into a 434 E model , but it's been 5 years now , and I have been actually hauling it to dirt lately.

I'm starting to look at off road only bikes and I like the Yami's (Bought a brand new YZ426 in '02).

I need e-start because of a damaged right hip, and have been thinking of trying a WR250F .

So the question is will I be disappointed the the power output, compared to my DRZ(which has a perfect motor for my needs).

I see there is a 290 kit that would probably make it a closer match.

I had a XR400 with a 416 kit several years ago and that bike was a tractor.

The WR250 does not have that kind of torque on hand. It will surprise you in that it will just keep chugging up nasty, steep hillclimbs, but it would not be considered a low power house. It has its snap from mid throttle on up.

It would certainly depend on the type of riding you have in mind. For tight woods, I would not hesitate on the WR250. For desert or open terrain, the WR450 would be a better choice.

have been thinking of trying a WR250F .

So the question is will I be disappointed the the power output, compared to my DRZ

mind=blown.:banana: I remember asking you the same question about 3 years ago, only on a TE250. :eek:

Well, I rode 40 miles of Oregon woods on Monday with my brother who rides a Gasgas EC250. We are both B riders and are neck and neck when I ride my Gasser.

We rode a little bit of everthing, including flowing singletrack, nasty bolder laiden hillclimbs, singletrack gnarly hillclimb and flowing quad width trails.

We were neck and neck all day. In fact, my brother commented that I seemed way faster in the corners than usual.

The WR simply puts power to the ground well. It is no power house, but is so easy to ride that it lets you concentrate on the trail rather than worrying about the bike. I was very surprised at how well it climbs. It does not seem to make a ton of low end power, but it just keeps on trucking up nasty hills that I would struggle with on my Gasser or any bike for that matter.

My brother rode it for about 5 miles and his comment was it doesnt seem like you are going fast, but you are going fast.

I really am enjoying this little thumper and it is quite surprising how well it does.

The only change I think I want to make is to put my trials tire on.

mind=blown.:eek: I remember asking you the same question about 3 years ago, only on a TE250. ­čśë

Roger , How the hell are you ? Long time no see/ride .

Yeah,haven't seen any pavement on the DRZ in months. Gabe and I are switching weekends hauling our bikes to dirt.

Can't even run the DRZ on the street, as 14/50 blows at 60mph.

Just fantasizing about something WAY lighter , with moderate power with e-start and priced right (KLR cheap).:banana:

Just fantasizing about something WAY lighter , with moderate power with e-start and priced right (KLR cheap).

Hi Chris- My bike is still INOP, just sitiing in the corner waiting till I can get to it. :banana: Tell Gabe I said hey.

Anyhoo, if I had a way to transport a dirtbike, I'd definately be looking at a WR250F. Never ridden one, but of all the bikes I "sampled" at the last Long Beach MC show, the WR was the only one that felt "right" to me. I'm also ready to trade some grunt and weight for a lighter, thinner, nimble-er ride. I think the only trade off would be low RPM torque. Keep it on the pipe and unleash the fun!

I also live in Oregon and am a fairly aggressive trail rider. I used to race motocross up until about 4 years ago when I broke my arms and that was the end of that and my mx bike.

About 7-8 months ago I went on a hunt to find a bike that would be good for trails and something that was not extremely heavy as I only weigh a buck fifty. I looked at KTMs, YZ250Fs, crf250x's, etc. and decided I wanted a bike with elecrtic start. Well, after an exhausting search I found a 08 WR250f on craigslist that had all the free mods, a fmf complete 4.1 exhaust and a recluse clutch. I was a little hesitant to go look at it because I was not really impressed with the stock CRF250X I had ridden a few days prior. Anyway, it looked nice so I decided to take the 2 1/2 hours to washington to take a look. I felt this bike was wayyy nicer than the 250x I had test rode and still had a wide ratio tranny, electric start and sort of the motocross feel I was looking for. To make a long story short, I bought it and have never looked back. This is by far my favorite bikeI have thrown a leg over and I cannot wait to race in my first 24hr race this fall! Good thread man!

Very interesting, I have an 07 WR250F and an 05 WR450F. I like both bikes and switch from one to another. I'm 65 years old about 230#, I have an issue in the way the 250 handles sand, probably should look into some stiffer springs, I've backed off on the preload hoping to improve the handling, dropped the triple clamps as far as I can to slow down the steering a bit. I still don't really care for the handling. the 450 on the other hand is much more relaxing to ride, seems to steer better, and in sand it's no contest. Unlike most I have gone the other way in gearing, I went up one tooth on the CS sprocket so I can run it down 2tracks and fireroad at higher speeds w/o ringing it out. It is a bit high in 1st when starting out but once you are rolling it's never an issue. Again with free mods, and a GYT end cap, it handles everything power wise and runs right along with the bigger bikes. The JD jetting kit is spot on and it is difficult to makes it stall out. I am quite curious as to how the FMF exhaust might improve the power though.