02 vs. 06 Hinson Clutch basket?

Hi,

I have a buddy that is selling his 02 CRF 450.

It has a hinson outter basket in it, works butter smooth.

I have an 06 CRF 450 that has a notched basket (stock).

He is selling the 02, and has offered me the Hinson basket in exchange for my 06 basket, plus a little filing it down to make it decent for the potential buyer.

Question: Will the Hinson basket (along with the pressed kick starter gear) fit into my 06 with no issues?

I want to do a outter basket swap with essentially no additional worries, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

that's a big 4 real thank you MELK.

time to get out the file and fixer upper the 06 basket, sayin? ? :smirk:

The basket/gears are basically the same and will fit fine. Filing will make it work like new, but not for as long as new. The outer teeth of the basket have worn and filing makes the space for the fiber teeth to jam back n' forth bigger. More "hit" each time going back n' forth. So although the basket will work flawlessly for some time, you can bank on the fact it will notch faster than it did the first time. Better than putting it in worn and knotched.. As you know, it makes for a jumpy bike when taking off and harder clutch lever pull. How long depends on how knotched it was when you begin filing. The basket i bought was only slightly knotched, and took no time at all to smooth out. I have seen some real junk on Ebay that i can't belive people would buy and put on a machine, REALLY knotched..

On that Hinson, IF you try to take out the 3mm bolts holding the bushing plate.. heat em first. They should have locktite on em. Trying to back em out without heat will result in the small 3mm hex head stripping, and you would need to drill em out later if needed. There should be very little movement in the ring gear on the basket. If you see bits of rubber coming out and there is substantial slop on the ring gear on the basket.. the bushings are junk. $30 for new ones. If the motor gets fairly hot (like from a wp seal that leaked lots of coolant out the weep hole ) they get brittle and disintigrate. Like THIS!!

450clutch3.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

very good info. I appreciate it. In heating the small screws that hold the back plate on, how do you propose that I do this? Blow torch with a narrow output maybe? Or, perhaps putting it in the oven and going ahead and ordering new bushings anyway? At 30 bucks that is the least of my worries. ?

$15 at any auto parts store, small propane torch. Good to have in the tool chest so not money wasted. Just light it up and put some heat to each screw for awhile. go round and round. undo a few and if they are still tough to remove, hit em with some more flame. Can't leave the flame there too long or you could start melting the rubber basket cusions. You will know if you start to cook one, and a little damage to one is not a huge deal..

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this went pretty well. Thanks for the help.

I did run into a problem though.

When I took the basket out of the 02 and slid it into the 06, all went well, put it back together, etc. Kicked through but it felt like the clutch basket/kickstart gear was binding a bit. In my typical fashion, I said the hell with it and went ahead and started it. It cranked, clutch engaged easily, but something didn't sound right.

I disassemble it, and while the outer basket was in the bike (inner removed, etc) I could move it back and forth and it moved about 1/4 of an inch. Put the original back on and there was practically no movement.

Inspected the basket off of the 02, and the kickstart gear moved back and forth on the basket.

Removed the 8 little screws, only to find that the cushions had "shrank" over the last 5 years.

Replaced them, put it back together on the 06, and now it is like butter....

Strange that the cushions would shrink, but that is what happened. They looked perfect as far as no break down, but just too small...

Always something... :banana:

that is odd. I put my used Hinson basket in my 98cr250r recently, had to use the drive gear off the basket of the 98 and used the old cusions too. They were fine, i have had the bike for over 6 years and everything inside looked original. PErhaps they wore and got smaller? Shrinking still is a term that would apply i guess.

If they were worn, I'd expect them to show on one side (where the pressure is applied). These were not worn, they simply shrank. I guess there is a reason for them selling replacement cushions? lol anyway, all good now.

Last thought, for the 06 basket that I plan to file, is there a specific tool that anyone has used, unless it is a rasp or whatnot from the hardware store?

that is odd. I put my used Hinson basket in my 98cr250r recently, had to use the drive gear off the basket of the 98 and used the old cusions too. They were fine, i have had the bike for over 6 years and everything inside looked original. PErhaps they wore and got smaller? Shrinking still is a term that would apply i guess.

I got a friend who has a '98 CR250R.