New to me 1999 XR650L

Not really, as long as you do the regular maintenance, they're pretty bullet proof.

The worst thing is when the chain is too tight. If it's too tight and you use it aggressively, the countershaft (front sprocket shaft) splines can get worn. Just follow the factory service intervals and when in doubt, keep the chain on looser instead of tighter. She'll last a LONG time.

Change the oil and filter just to certain it's fresh, repeat every 800-1000 miles, do the Dave's mods, get a Uni filter, oil it up, put a little grease around the lip and ride the pig.

A guy in my club has owned 2 XR650L's, the first one he logged on 28,000 off road(dual sport) miles and he had to rebuild the motor. His current one had 24,000 miles on it spring of last year and i aske dhim how often he checks his valves and if they were ever out of spec. his reply was "HUH?!?!?" He never checked. Next ride another guy asked him the same questions, so he thought he should check the valves finally. He said they were .001 out of spec. he now is pushing 28k miles and it is smoking a little, but still rinning fine.

These bikes are pretty easy to mantain and tough all around bikes. The carbs aren't as sensative to ambiant temps or humidity like some of the higher tech ones., Do the Dave's mods and just ride it and watch the tightness of that chain, like said before.