Valve to Piston Contact-damage?

During my recent hot cam exhaust fit in my original fitment I was 1 tooth off, as my TDC wasn't quite in the centre of the inspection hole i did a manual rotation of the crank to realign and there was a definite loud knock and resistance when I rotated and I'm thinking this was valve to piston contact.

As it was only wound over once (I *might*) have done it twice I can't quite recall, what chances are there I might have broken or valve or something else?

The bike has not been started, head has not been pulled but it is back together.

Should I pull the head off and check, or start and hope?😏

You may have slightly bent a valve, pull the head off and check the seating to make sure they are sealing. I am not 100% sure but a leak down test or compression test may also help if you don't want to take the head off. Do a test, then give a couple of squirts of oil down the spark plug hole, repeat the test. If the result is better then you may have done some damage. It's a pity that it's late night in the US, I am sure Eddie would know what to do.

Good luck mate.

Luke

During my recent hot cam exhaust fit in my original fitment I was 1 tooth off, as my TDC wasn't quite in the centre of the inspection hole i did a manual rotation of the crank to realign and there was a definite loud knock and resistance when I rotated and I'm thinking this was valve to piston contact.

As it was only wound over once (I *might*) have done it twice I can't quite recall, what chances are there I might have broken or valve or something else?

The bike has not been started, head has not been pulled but it is back together.

Should I pull the head off and check, or start and hope?🤣

Hey David..I know you are wanting someone to tell you it will be ok not to check if you have caused any damage...😏:cheers::ride:

Its your bike mate, are you willing to risk it...???..😏

I think you know what should be done....

Keep us posted ,Cheers, Craig

any of the valves have way too much clearance now?

No they are all within spec, both exhaust are sitting on 0.20mm now. I have a .23mm feeler gauge which doesn't fit and the .20mm slides in nicely with a little room to spare so I guess clearance is slightly over .20mm. Same clearance results before I pulled the SM cam as I wanted to measure before it came out.

Could it have been the decomp. making that noise?

It will give some more RPM up top . I noticed the exhaust note aswell , it sounds more like a thumper , greg

Yes I agree on the exhaust note, I've only taken it to 100klm/h but there's a bit more pull up top for sure.

I ripped myself off not buying both at once coz now I'll have to pay for shipping again when I buy the intake.😏

I'm a worry wart, it started up and runs fine.

First thing I noticed was slightly different exhaust note, have only done a brief break in ride thus far but i don't expect to notice any huge seat of the pants difference.

when building motors and not a lot of expierience .. the best thing you can be is a worry wart .