Husky Noob-Need Advice

Hi all, I really appreciate the site & forums. I own a 2001 CR250R and a 2007 KLR 650. I really enjoy riding tracks, but don't jump much and am not competitive. I just really like riding! The CR doesn't like me lugging it around the track. When I get a little adventurous and give it some gas, it kicks so hard and suddenly, that it scares the chocolate out of me. I love the rush of acceleration, but the band is very narrow on the CR. I just know it wasn't built to be ridden the way I ride it. It's also not a good trail bike, which I really enjoy doing. On the KLR side, I can't enjoy it in the woods too much without getting more of a workout than I'd like. It's also not much fun with stock seat on highway for more than a couple of hours.

So I have an opportunity to buy an '06 TE510. I love the history, look and power and what I've read about the bike. In order to get the bike, I'll be selling the KLR and possibly the CR. Both of the bikes are in very good shape and haven't given me any mechanical problems whatsoever.

My goal would be to get a bike that has plenty of *predictable* power when I want it, and that would be more of a 90% offroad setup. I don't know that I'd miss my bikes if the TE fits the bill, and if reliability is good. Are there any known problems with this year/model? What would you advise me to look for in inspecting the bike? I don't mind working on my bikes at all; just don't want unexpected major mechanical issues taking me by surprise. Does this sound like a good move on my part?

I really appreciate your time and input. Thanks a lot!

Mike

(Sorry for the rambling post!)

I am not a 2 stroke guy for the reasons you describe - just never got used to the on/ off the pipe- but those things can be tuned if you know what you are doing- to meet your style of riding- powervalve adjustments and other stuff I know nothing about.

That said- I think a 450/510 sounds like your bike- if you can enjoy a KLR in the woods and dislike the CR even with its weight benifits. You are a 4stroke guy. YOu will have tons of power at your disposal that will be smooth- you'll have to get used to it in very technical sections- but its just throttle control-You don't need 250 power in those sections- again - throttle control- BUT it will be smooth unlike being on and off the pipe from a 2 stroke. (that's if you arent used to it- 2stroke guys are and can be very smooth and controle and predict the power band to their advantage. Just takes time.

The 450/510's are very durrable. Look for well maintained and lower hour bikes. Ask about valve adjustments- did they check? yadayada- more about buying from a good owner in this case- they are great bikes. ­čśĆ

I have an 07 510 and love the bike. A couple things you mention in your post is the narrow band of the CR and the workout and seat of the KLR. The 510's gearing is pretty narrow so you'll be shifting but the power is always there, smooth and never ending. The stock seat sucks and in technical trail riding you will get a workout. That being said I love the bike. It is easy to ride and the power is very controllable.

Like my 07, the 06 is a carb and if it's set up right you'll never have to touch it. The valves are easy, only made one adjustment to mine since new. The only mechanical issue I ever had was overheating on technical single track. All was corrected when I added a fan.

As with all used bikes just looking at the owner and how they keep their stuff usually tells me enough about what the general condition of the bike is going to be. Ask about the valves, have they been checked, have they needed adjustment? Were they good with oil changes? Might ask if the rear linkage and swingarm bearings were ever greased.

I think you'll like the bike.

I had an 05 TE 510 and an 06 TE 450. Not one, I repeat not one mechanical failure on either bike. Both did over 4000 kms under me and in very hot and dusty Australia. I am also heavy at 250 lbs and they never boiled in the snotty stuff. I am a KTM head shake convert and will stay with Husky. Their build quality is good the reliabilty excellent and enjoyment facor right out there. The 450 and 510 are quite different machines and both a hoot to ride. The 450 is slightly better in the tight (less reciprocating mass) and the 510 is slightly better in sand and fire trails. That said both do very well in all situations. The Huskies are powerful bikes in their class and also tall, so they are better suited to someone over say 5'10. That said a lot of shorter riders have then and love them. I ride with a lot of other riders and all have their favourite bikes. I do know that I have killed them over the past 5 years in the reliability stakes. Only break down was a battery died after 4 years in the deep bush and I had to kick her, heck what an impost at least 3 kicks to fire here up. The 06/07 models were the peak of the TE carby models, the engine refinements etc whilst subtle were ongoing from about 2000 so the motors etc are just dam well built. Good luck.

Thank you all very much for the input!!! I got to meet the owner today and test rode the bike. Very nice gentleman. I was extremely impressed with his maintenance records. Very detailed and never missed a thing. Everything on the bike was clean and well maintained. We rode around the area for a while, and I have to say I definitely know what you all are talking about when you describe the bike!!! I think this is one the most amazing bikes I've ever ridden! I've been on a ton of bikes from GSXRs 750 to XR50s. I love them all, but man did this Husky blow me away! What a sound! The power is amazing. I'm definitely sold!

Again, thank you all for your very valuable input. Great forum!

OK... Bought the bike. I love the way it rides. It's awesomely fun!!! Engine is fantastic and handling is really sweet. My only complaint is with the elecrical (maybe stator?) system. I had a feeling it was a little weak when I checked the bike out. Blinkers took a while to flash after hitting the switch. Also, I get noticable dimming on the headlight when I brake. When I measure the voltage across the posts at idle, I'm not getting quite 14v. Is this a problem that I need to worry about? I don't mind kickstarting the bike and leaving the majic button for "emergency" use (too tired to kick). Thanks for all the feedback.

Check the stator, make sure it's clean (metalic splooge accumulates over the hours), & get an LED tail light. I'm running a 55 watt headlight & had quite a bit of dimming with the brakes on at a stop. I put on an Edge II tail light & all the dimming is gone. Your headlight will also be brighter. :banana:

Agree with Rufus. The bikes put out a fair amount of current so I would lay the bike on her right hand side, take off the gear lever, then the stator cover plate. Then lift out the electrical gizmo (stator) cleant the end bits and also the metal dish it sits in. A lot of greyish gunk will come out. This is a half hour job, just be careful with the gasket.

I would also recommend that you do the following.

Take off the steering head and swing arm/linkage and clean and repack the bearings with warerproof grease.

Do the same with the wheel bearings and axels.

Put 2 stroke synthetic oil at 100:1 ratio in your fuel-acts as a valve cushion and lubes the top ring-no smoke, no fouled plugs. Engine lasts longer and it is a wee bit less vibey (it feels tat way to me).

Put in an iridium spark plug-much better combustion, starts much quicker when cold-last forever.

Check your sag

Put on a set of Motoz tyres when you need to replace the existing ones

Use a semi synthetic engine oil like Motul, Bel ray or Maxima. These are quality mid priced oils.

Change the oil every 300/500 miles and change the oil filter every second oil change.

Purge and replace clutch and brake fluids every 12 months, fork oil every 2 years.

Check the valves at next service-they are very good at staying inspec and are both quick and easy to reset. Once done you only need to think about them if the bike becomes hard to start.

Keep your air filter clean and oiled.

Good luck they are great bikes.