250 Suspension

I have an 86' XR250R that I want to be a little shorter. The things sits up real high until I sit on it and then it sinks really low, but not low enough really. I know that you can move the nuts that are on the suspension down, mine are in the top position. But I'm afraid that I will bottom out the suspension. I weigh between 150-160 depending on the day, weight jumps around a lot. I'm 5'10'' which is why I need it lower. My main question is what can I do to stiffen the shocks up? Would the honda shop charge a bunch to refill the nitrogen and oil and change out the spring? Could I do it myself and save a ton of money or is that a bit dangerous for a first time shock rebuilder?

Thanks everyone

John

Has anyone ever swapped out the CR125 or CR250 rear suspension to an XR? I figure that the suspension from one of those bikes might be a little beefer and better because those bikes are more for racing. I'm going to look at doing that type of conversion with some cheap ebay parts or something. Thanks again guys. Any thoughts would be great.

John

I have an 86' XR250R that I want to be a little shorter. The things sits up real high until I sit on it and then it sinks really low, but not low enough really. I know that you can move the nuts that are on the suspension down, mine are in the top position. But I'm afraid that I will bottom out the suspension. I weigh between 150-160 depending on the day, weight jumps around a lot. I'm 5'10'' which is why I need it lower. My main question is what can I do to stiffen the shocks up? Would the honda shop charge a bunch to refill the nitrogen and oil and change out the spring? Could I do it myself and save a ton of money or is that a bit dangerous for a first time shock rebuilder?

Thanks everyone

John

Shortening the spring increases the rate, not the other way around. you have it in the most likely to bottom out position now.

The fact that you are sagging it down enough to shorten it means it's too soft for you now.

But stiffening it up so it doesn't bottom will keep it up higher with you on it.

Start by moving it down about 1/4 of the way.

You are light so the stock springs should be fine.

There is a set measurement for how much sag the suspension should have with you on it. To much or too less and the suspension can't work right.

The rear shock doubtlessly needs recharged, and you have to have a shop do it. (have pressurized nitrogen laying around?) ­čśĆ

First step is to set the correct static and rider sag, do a search and you will find some posts on setting up XRs. This will help you decide if the springs are correct but for most trail riding stock springs are pretty close for most riders. The shock has compression and rebound damping adjustments, the rebound is a four position adjuster on the bottom of the shock, 1 is the softest and 4 the most. The compression adjustment is on the resorvoir. I run rebound on 4 because I have an stiffer spring from an 02 XR250 and compression between 6-9 CW.

The rear can be lowered two ways:

By installing a longer different link, I lowered my XR200 1/2" by using a 84 XR250 link but I doubt that will work on a 86+ 250, maybe someone will post a solution.

By using a 17" wheel from a 84-85 XR250 (not the 200 wheel), the 200 rim is 1.85" wide and the 250 is 2.15" wide. The OEM IRC tires are a good intermediate tire.

The easiest and cheapest fix for the front is a RaceTech Emulator kit.

As far as a CR rear end; that would be a big improvement but the linkage, swing arm, and frame attach points are different so it would take a lot of work, and the extra travel would raise the rear even more.