Need help making my plated TE450 legal.

I recently bought a '04 TE450. It's already plated, but it needs a few things before I can legally take it on the road.

I need a switch for my brake light. I've been looking around and Baja Designs has two hydraulic switches (Nissin & Brembo) and a mechanical switch. Which one do I get for my bike?

I'm planning on installing a keyed ignition switch. Is there any way I can remove the kick starter so it can only be started with the button? The bike has a rekluse clutch in it, so I'm not worried about someone bump starting it.

It needs a horn, but those are easy enough to install.

Once those are on, I'm good to go! ­čśĆ

The rear brakes are brembo. What if you just took the kickstart lever off the bike (I would carry it with me in a fanny pack in case your battery dies though). Not sure about the 04' but my 07' has a steering head lock on it which is nice for security. Procycle has a lot of individual dual sport parts so you might check there also.

The key switch goes into the engine kill circuit and your bike won't start by the kicker or the e-start with the switch out. I've got the '05 version of your bike. I don't have a key switch yet, but my kill switch is a toggle. With the toggle set to "kill" I can crank the bike with the e-start or kick on it all day and it will try to start but never crank over fully. I've thought the bike was tough to start at times and then realized I left the kill switch off!

On the topic of a the brake light switch, I would go with hydraulic style. I like brembo products so that would be my choice. While your ordering stuff I would also add a LED 1157 bulb to your list. It will help with headlight flicker, if you have that problem. Most brakelights draw about 20 watts when activated, and the LED version draws only 1 watt. Just a thought.

• 2 months later...

A keyed switch on a dirtbike is just a nuissance and failure point in my mind. A crook can get around the keyed switch in typically 30-60 seconds as there is no fairing for the switch to be shrouded in which means jumping 1-2 wires and the bike will be running.

I'd leave the kick starter on, it's already there and a very good back up.

If the bike doesn't have a toggle kill switch then install one, buy a BIG ASS lock and cable and that will be your anti-theft device.

Your front brake should accomodate a micro electronic switch for you brakes, then add a pressure switch at your rear master cylinder and you'll be set!!