Dealer problems

I need some advice.

I took my CRF450x in for the decompressor recall.

Dealer installed the part and then could not get the bike running.

Long story short, they don't want to spend any more time on it and I can have it back, non-running

Anyone been in this situation before?

I have no idea what to do. The bike is a 2009 with 185 miles on it and nothing but trail riding. Motor has a total of 15 hours on it. I rode it the weekend before I took it in!

I'm at wits end....😏

Jim.

I need some advice.

I took my CRF450x in for the decompressor recall.

Dealer installed the part and then could not get the bike running.

Long story short, they don't want to spend any more time on it and I can have it back, non-running

Anyone been in this situation before?

I have no idea what to do. The bike is a 2009 with 185 miles on it and nothing but trail riding. Motor has a total of 15 hours on it. I rode it the weekend before I took it in!

I'm at wits end....😏

Jim.

If you took the bike in and it was running normally before they took it apart, they need to fix it. You're gonna have to put on your angry customer face and get down and dirty. Have you talked to the manager yet?

If you took the bike in and it was running normally before they took it apart, they need to fix it. You're gonna have to put on your angry customer face and get down and dirty. Have you talked to the manager yet?

I was talking to the service manager and without going into a lot of detail, we had a little bit of a heated discussion (no swearing) on the phone.

Basically, he accused me of trying to get away with something and I told him he screwed up and I didn't trust them to work on it.

At the end I told him this was a bad experience, and he said if I thought it was a bad experience, he was having one to and then hung up on me.

Honestly, this guy has no right to be a service manager. He's been non-communicative from the get go. In fact the first time I called and he told me the bike wasn't running and remarked that it was running fine when I brought it in. His response was "maybe my mechanic doesn't know how to start it". It's been like that ever since with him.

I've spoken to one of the salesmen since and he's calling Honda, but if I get no where with that, I'll insist on talking to the owners of the dealership. Failing that, I'll call Honda and complain.

Not sure what can be done after that.😏👎

Bummer. And I even stuck up for the Honda dealerships in another thread when we discussing this. One guy was paranoid about taking his bike in. Another went out and paid for the part himself because he didn't trust his dealer shop.

Guess I should have been a little more paranoid.

Jim.

I should mention that the crux of the problem is that neither I nor them ran the bike at the dealer, so it's my word against theirs.

Jim.

Wow, that is just unbelievable. I say you find the next closest Honda dealer, tell them what complete idiots this Sport-Mann place is and ask if they are willing to take a quick peek to determine what might be wrong, with the promise of coming back onto this post and promoting what a great and accommodating shop they are.

I simply can't believe a shop would do something like that, especially nowadays. Sorry to hear about this. I don't live in NY, but if I did, I would NEVER take my bike to this crack-pot place. Very disappointing.

Forward the service manager this thread so he can see how damaging his very poor decision can be to their reputation.

This is a very unfortunate situation. It sounds like you are taking the right steps, just remember to not make it personal with the service manager, keep it professional and courteous, and keep going up the ladder until you get it fixed.

It's things like this that give dealers a bad reputation. Some are great, most are mediocre, and some are downright horrifying. The mechanic can't be that knowledgeable if he can't get it running, or at least figure out why it's not running. I mean it's not rocket science... even I can keep my bikes running and I'm no mechanic.

Since this is a recall, you may get some support from Honda but I wouldn't bet on it...

Good luck!

As a former Honda tech I can say that they have the cam one tooth off. I know that motor will not run that way. {don't ask me how I know} I think you need to call Honda, go get your bike, get a copy of your repair order, and go to a different dealer.

As a former Honda tech I can say that they have the cam one tooth off. I know that motor will not run that way. {don't ask me how I know} I think you need to call Honda, go get your bike, get a copy of your repair order, and go to a different dealer.

Exactly. Trying to turn a stupid person into a smart person is a waste of time. Go around the obstacle and get it taken care of.

Re: Advice

Just dropped my '08 450X off at Honda of Houston a few hours ago for the decompressor system recall (or PUD or whatever). Having read on these forums of others' poor dealer customer service experiences makes me anxious. My difficulty is my bike isn't currently running, having failed Saturday on the trails with symptoms similar to decompressor pin failure, so I hope I don't get a similar run-around. Just in case, for you and for me both, here's something that caught my eye on the recall notice received from Honda:

Who to contact if you experience problem(sic):

If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from your Honda dealer, you may write to:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Motorcycle Customer Service

Mail Stop 100-4C-7B

1919 Torrance Blvd.

Torrance, CA 90501-2746

(866) 784-1870

Exactly. Trying to turn a stupid person into a smart person is a waste of time. Go around the obstacle and get it taken care of.

i believe if you look at the alignment marks from the top it looks like it is in the right place, if you look from the side it will be one tooth off, correct me if im wrong but the correct place to view to align the cam is from the side. if i were you i would take your bike to the next closest honda dealer and try to make the dealer you are having problems with pay whatever they charge you to get it running. because it is their fault and should be able to get it running the first time.

Wow,that is unfortunate but hey some dealers today are just ********,I for one am very lucky I live in NJ and ride nothing but Kawi so our dealer of choice is Mt.HollyKawasaki have not had one problem with them ever, very nice people who are dedicaded to the sport and know what their doing.

thanks for nothing

Make the phone call to your district rep and have them put pressure on the dealer. They won't want to screw with the Honda rep because even one pissed-off customer = less sales and the rep knows this.

Also, you can take them to small claims court for a $50 or so filing fee. You can haul-in the shop owner, and/or the service manager, and they'll have to take a day off of work and show up because they can't have an attorney in small claims court. If it's going to cost the shop more $$ to show up (even if they "win") than it would to fix your bike, and they're not total math douches, they'll choose to fix your bike before you ever need show up in court.

I'm not saying to be litigious on small things, just that there's a *lot* of leverage at your disposal if you're getting nowhere with these guys.

Oh, and document everything, even dates and phone calls, and what was said in your own words). Remember, you're not the mechanical expert here, the dealer is. Just because someone says that the timing marks are off, doesn't mean that you should know to check that right after getting your bike back from the dealer (it wouldn't hurt to check them and see, though). Same with testing that the bike runs at the dealership before you receive it from them (although that's something to chalk up to experience). If they didn't "bother" to show you that it was running properly before they gave it back to you, especially if they normally do that with other customers, then maybe they knew it wasn't running right before you received it and were deliberately trying to make their failure your issue. Seems as good an offense as any (imo). Good luck!

Their saying the issue is that the motor has low compression (25 lbs) and even added some oil to the cylinder and the compresssion did not come up.

To me, it suggests that:

1. The decompressor system is always engaged, either because of a parts and/or design issue with the new parts or they but it back together wrong.

2. They bent a valve in working on it - Don't know if this is possible on this motor, but I know that on some engines, if the valve timing is not correct, the pistion can hit a valve if it's still open when it comes up to TDC.

I don't think this is the case, because the service manager did say they checked the valve lash and it was in spec. I would think if a valve got bent, it would show up there. But I suppose if it just barely got bent, it might not and yet still be open enough to cause a problem.

These are the only two things I can think of that could have gone wrong. The only work they were doing was for the decompressor recall, which means they had the cam out.

I'm trying to understand how valve timing off by a tooth would account for the low compression, but I not 100% on how the automatic decompression system works in terms of when it suppose to engage.

I understand it works on a weight, which rotates a shaft coupled to a pin. The pin rides up/down in the cam shaft and acts as a lobe for the exhaust rocker. As soon as the cam spins up to enough speed, the weight pulls the pin down into the cam so it no longer engages the rocker.

And now as I'm saying that, I'm not sure what their doing to determine compression. I would think you would have to disable the decompressor system to get a true reading. The motor may truly not have a low compression condition at all.

So it could be nothing more then the valve timing being off, which is why it really won't start.

I wonder what the bottom end reading should be with the decompressor system working is? I would think more then 25lbs. Any thoughts on that?

Hum...well you've given me some food for thought and that's exactly why I posted here. Always good info and ideas.

Thanks.

Jim.

Re: Advice

Just dropped my '08 450X off at Honda of Houston a few hours ago for the decompressor system recall (or PUD or whatever). Having read on these forums of others' poor dealer customer service experiences makes me anxious. My difficulty is my bike isn't currently running, having failed Saturday on the trails with symptoms similar to decompressor pin failure, so I hope I don't get a similar run-around. Just in case, for you and for me both, here's something that caught my eye on the recall notice received from Honda:

Who to contact if you experience problem(sic):

If you are not satisfied with the service you receive from your Honda dealer, you may write to:

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Motorcycle Customer Service

Mail Stop 100-4C-7B

1919 Torrance Blvd.

Torrance, CA 90501-2746

(866) 784-1870

Thanks much for that!

I'm still waiting for a call from the dealer, but given the attitude of the service manager, I don't think I'm going to get far with them.

If that does happen (I get no where), I plan to pick up the bike, ask for a detailed invoice/receipt on the work performed, and to get the old parts back if possible.

I'll tell them that I plan to file a letter of complaint with the Better Business Bureau and Honda and will be calling the local rep. Also, depending on what it costs for me to get it fixed, I may file in small claims court.

My only concern at that point is whether I take it to another dealer and let them work on it or do any work myself. I am a more then capable mechanic and this is well within my capabilities, but I am not a professional nor certified in any way. What I don't want to do it jeopardize any claim I might have if they've done some major damage.

Got to think on this some more. If it’s nothing more then valve timing, that’s an easy fix, but if they bent a valve or messed up the cam carrier in some way, then it could be a lot of $$.

Jim.

I think you're better off taking it to another dealer, should that come to pass. If you work on it yourself its your word vs. theirs and you're not Honda certified.

Agreed. 😏

If it comes to litigating this, you'll pretty much guarantee a "lose" (imo) if you do anything but have another qualified mechanic work on the bike until all of this is over.

That said, if it were me, I'd take a look anyway without changing anything, and videotape it so that I could prove that I didn't change anything and that my actions in looking at the bike did not affect the condition of the bike. It sucks, but if the dealer isn't going to play ball, it's prudent to think like a lawyer. 😏

Holy smokes, Jim.....I've heard of some screwed-up things happening at dealer service departments but this one has to be near the top of the list....I'll bet you American Honda will have you take it to another Honda mechanic to see what's what. Sounds like they broke something and know it but want to blame it on you. Scumbags.....