Replating opinions wanted with pics

new to 2 strokes here so take it easy on me. i decided to do the top end cause there i wasnt sure how much time was on it when i bought it. i found a small area of plating missing above the exhaust port. my first questions is what would cause this? There is a scratched area on the piston where it is on the cylinder. Do i have to replate it or can i get away with one more top end? Also, any comments on the condition of the piston would be a helpful learning experience for me (rich, lean, etc...). its a 08 yz250.

Album link

http://picasaweb.google.com/matt415324/DirtBike02?feat=directlink

well I'm in the same boat but mine is worse than yours I'm sending mine into powerseal and for 250$ they will make it better than new according to them!! mine is a deep gouge that has to be welded yours might be cheaper if they can just hone and replate it??

If it were me I'd just smooth the piston out with some 600 grit sand paper and do the same on the spot over the exhaust port. That looks as if the plating just flaked off. Probably happened because there was a small area somewhere around or under it was not perfectly clean when it was plated. We have a lot of stuff plated where I work and I see that fairly often. As for the piston, I would say the top looks good, if anything, a touch rich maybe.

Just my 2 cents.

Here's a picture of the piston out of a KX250 I just bought. This one needs more than light sanding!!

th_IMG_0061.jpg

th_IMG_0057.jpg

Time for a re-plate.

That is one of the most highly stressed and critical areas in your cylinder. When the ring decides to catch that plating and tear it loose, you'll probably have a broken ring and a badly damaged cylinder.

Better to replate now while it doesn't need any welding or boring. I think PowerSeal charges $180 for a simple strip and replate job like that.

I had mine done by powerseal with welding and it was under $250 with return shipping.