Prepping 200/250/300 XCW for woods

I'm considering a move from my 250X to a KTM 2T, but need some info to help with the decision...

• Do the 200XC and 250XCW come with a spark arrestor?
  • Is the 200XC wired for headlight and taillight?
  • What year did e-start become available on the 250?

Thanks,

Chris

None of the 2 strokes since 06 come with SA's. But, you can pick up an 05 and back stock hockey stick pretty cheap and there is a plethera of aftermarket SA silencers.

200XC is not wired for lights, but I think it has some readiness. Enduro Engineering sells a complete kit, however.

E start started in 08 on the W and 09 on the XC.

I disagree with the W being better, that is a matter of perception. A fast rider is going to have different requirements than a slower rider, terrain will dictate as well. Plus, suspension can be made to be whatever one wants. Plus, the XC's have the twin chamber forks, which are more versatile.

The 200 has a totally different tranny set up than the bigger bikes.

any more questions? ๐Ÿ˜

I have an '08 250XCW, brother has a '09 200XCW. Both are great woods bikes. The 250 is more "thumpery" and can lug more and has more torque. The 200 is very 'zippy', but in a tractible way. He's 150lbs and likes the lighter 200 better, I'm 200 lbs and like the 250 better.

Both have adjustable power valves and 2 choices for ignition maps- between that and changing pipes, you can totally change the character of the bikes from docile trail machine to screamer. The 250 can have the SX ignition box and head added for even more power (kiss the e-start goodbye after that mod though). And you can always add the 300 kit for $850 if you need still more power.

My 250 is dialled down a bit- gnarly pipe, low ignition map, but with red power valve spring. I love it. The FMF Q-stealth is a tad quiter than stock and adds a spark arrestor. But I ride very techincal trails and rarely go past 20mph.

I appreciate all the info.

I disagree with the W being better, that is a matter of perception. A fast rider is going to have different requirements than a slower rider, terrain will dictate as well. Plus, suspension can be made to be whatever one wants. Plus, the XC's have the twin chamber forks, which are more versatile.

What's the benefit of the twin chamber? Is this the same design found in the 250X forks?

Tell you what if I knew then what I know now I'd be picking up a 250xc.

So tell ME what you know now that you didn't back then?

Twin chamber forks are more complicated but have a wider range of tunability than the old school OC forks. Pretty much you can do anything from MX to woods riding with the TC's tuned the right way. OC forks would probably always be too mushy for competitive MX, for example. Having said that, I feel like the re-sprung (stock 2010 valving) OC forks on my W (with subtanks) are better than the expensive re-worked Showas on my 450R for desert. Go figure. But like gmoss says, there's much to it like skill level, terrain, and simple personal preferences.

Now that the 2011XC has a semi-WR 6 speed, new frame, and TC forks it seems like I would probably pick one of these for a new bike over the XC-W if I were back in the market. Honestly, I'm very happy with my XC-W and don't see myself on another bike for a good long time.

Twin chamber forks are more complicated but have a wider range of tunability than the old school OC forks. Pretty much you can do anything from MX to woods riding with the TC's tuned the right way. OC forks would probably always be too mushy for competitive MX, for example. Having said that, I feel like the re-sprung (stock 2010 valving) OC forks on my W (with subtanks) are better than the expensive re-worked Showas on my 450R for desert. Go figure. But like gmoss says, there's much to it like skill level, terrain, and simple personal preferences.

Now that the 2011XC has a semi-WR 6 speed, new frame, and TC forks it seems like I would probably pick one of these for a new bike over the XC-W if I were back in the market. Honestly, I'm very happy with my XC-W and don't see myself on another bike for a good long time.

The newer model OC forks are nothing like the OC forks of old like mine. They are much improved and offer a good compromise. I have had both, and IMHO, both work well properly setup. The TC's track a little better and are more consistent over varied terrain, but I have really happy with my revalved 05 forks. I only ride and race HS's though, no MX.

Grouch, what are you riding now?

Little bike dragging vid for all you KTM 2-stroke guys to get a good laugh. This is what I wanted the pinger with E start for and one that would also run at sustained high speeds all on the same ride. I have another vid of some recent bike dragging I'll post up also. The Flatland pipe guard is one tough SOB...not even the slightest ding in the pipe. The Cycra hand guards are also mandatory for my rides. I destroyed the CF pipe guard with only a couple minor tosses off cliffs or whatever:lol:๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿคฃ Anyway, enjoy the vid.

http://www.vimeo.com/13689063

In this video I can't make the climb with no momentum and no traction. It's a notoriously deceptive little climb with the main problem not being able to get a good run at it because of the dune at the base. I was actually worried about seizing the motor when I took off for the hill. I had to drag the bike back down about 35 yards to where I could get back on it and ride it but not a mark on it aside from a little scraping on some scapes on the handguard.

http://vimeo.com/13731104

Edited by cubera

I use more low-end and need more than a 200 can offer (although a 200 is a great bike and I sure love to ride it! It will make a good practice bike). I wish I would have got the xc suspension because it's stiffer and offers more variety and works well off-road and on moto track (which is something I ride to train on).

That trail is much more like the trails we ride in the Phoenix area...very nice...too bad it's only about 50 yards worth of footage. ๐Ÿ˜ I was starting to think that Yuma was nothing but a bunch of boring, high speed, Jeep roads.๐Ÿคฃ

There's plenty of extreme technical:eek::cheers: goat trail in the Yuma area but I don't ride it when I'm alone or when temps are over 100F. There's nothing worse than being broken down, hurt, or stuck miles from BFE and you're alone. The vids I've posted so far are mostly of my cardiac rehab rides since I had a heart attack in May of this year and I'm using the bike to get my heart healthy again. I'll be doing much more of that "single track" horseshit when the weather cools. I'm not much for it since I like to haul ballz on fast double track but I have to learn the art of bike dragging better since all the race courses are getting stupid technical on the B loops these days.:ride:๐Ÿคฃ My goal is to ride every loop on every National Hare & Hound one of these years before I die.๐Ÿ˜

There's plenty of extreme technical:eek:๐Ÿ˜ goat trail in the Yuma area but I don't ride it when I'm alone or when temps are over 100F. There's nothing worse than being broken down, hurt, or stuck miles from BFE and you're alone. The vids I've posted so far are mostly of my cardiac rehab rides since I had a heart attack in May of this year and I'm using the bike to get my heart healthy again. I'll be doing much more of that "single track" horseshit when the weather cools. I'm not much for it since I like to haul ballz on fast double track but I have to learn the art of bike dragging better since all the race courses are getting stupid technical on the B loops these days.:cheers:๐Ÿคฃ My goal is to ride every loop on every National Hare & Hound one of these years before I die.๐Ÿ˜

Seems to me that riding that high speed, boring stuff would be more dangerous. High speed get offs are much more painful than a goat trail tip over.

Seems to me that riding that high speed, boring stuff would be more dangerous. High speed get offs are much more painful than a goat trail tip over.

A rider is very likely to get seriously hurt during a high speed get off but riding at speed is what makes it exciting:lol::cheers:๐Ÿ˜ Getting stuck in a ravine in triple digit heat is pretty darn dangerous when there's nobody around to help you out so it's best to avoid those goat trail rides this time of year especially. You're the first rider I've ever heard use the words high speed and boring in the same context.๐Ÿ˜ You're not a single track snob are you?:ride:๐Ÿคฃ Come on over and do some that easy fast jeep trail and some technical with me all on the same ride. You'll love it:ride:

We're off topic though....sorry:busted:

Grouch, what are you riding now?

I've had a CRF 250X for a year now. I ride woods...no MX. I would really miss the ability to lug a higher gear up hills without riding the clutch, but it would be nice to have something lighter for tight stuff. I'm not fond of having to add lights, SA, carry oil, etc associated with moving to 2T.

I've had a CRF 250X for a year now. I ride woods...no MX. I would really miss the ability to lug a higher gear up hills without riding the clutch, but it would be nice to have something lighter for tight stuff. I'm not fond of having to add lights, SA, carry oil, etc associated with moving to 2T.

with the fact you are currently on a 250F, you will be very pleased with the 200. After all the bikes I have had, it has all the positives of the F without the added weight and lack of power. I have always rode my bikes a gear high and do now. I can ride the 200 about the same as I did my WR, using about the same gears. It climbs just as well if not better and will flat leave a 250F when it gets on the pipe.

If you want a lot more power than your F, but don't want 450 power, then the 250T is a good choice.

it's a great next step.

lights and such can be had easily and cheaply. I don't carry oil, but I drive to my riding spots. We can't ride on the roads and none of our areas are so large that you can't get that far from the truck. I get about 70-80 per tank.

I'm not really after more power...just lighter weight. Something I can man handle, instead of feeling like I'm along for the ride. At 5'7", 155lbs I don't have the beef to wrestle with a fat pig all day.

That's better mileage than I expected. At that rate, I'd really only need to carry a couple ounces of oil for our longest days.

So the 250 XCW is wired to accept lights? And would have close to the same low RPM lug as my CRF250X? To get that kind of chug, would I need a FWW or just mess with the PV?

Anyone have actual weights for their 200XC and 250XCW? Just want to do real life comparisons of what they weigh vs. my CRF.

I made the swap from crf250x to my 09 250xc about a month ago. It will lug down very low, I think even lower than my honda did, and it has waaaay more power. If your not after power, you can mellow the bike out very easily with pv springs and jetting.

I dont know about actual weight, but the 250 feels MUCH less top heavy than the crf and overall much lighter in general. It makes the bike much easier to turn in tight stuff compared to the crf. I havent found one thing on the ktm that I dont like better than the crf, but I am a bit heavier than you at 190 and 6'1"