I need tips on getting started racing my DRZ!

I want to try racing a harescramble or enduro. I have no idea how to get started. I would greatly appreciate you veterans racers giving me the scoop on how to get started,bike setup, what to expect,what not to do... it only takes the one tip that ends up getting you thru/ or saving your neck... PW50 setup and getting Jr. started racing info wanted also.... thanks Andrew

by no means do i race, but i would say to get started get some good rubber on the wheels and go for it. meet people out there and ask what is being used. dirtbike people are amazingly open with thier techniques and equipment. also just look at what the other riders are using. mabye find a challanging section for you to ride and watch from the sidelines how experienced rider negotiate the terrain. what i find helps me ride better then anything is getting in behing a rider who knows what they are doing and follow thier line exactly. do what they do, like follow the leader. sounds goofy, but good habits rub off too. turn dip tuck brake and gas were they do. a BIG tip though --- start with c if you havnt done atleast some racing. dont wanna get run over...

I want to try racing a harescramble or enduro.

/quote]

You might find you'll need a different bike. I love my DRZ for a trail bike, but *nobody* in the local dirtbike club races one. There are a lot of KTMs, about 30 lbs lighter, same power.

sorry-

-Vince

Nobody races a DRZ? Check out the WORCs site, I saw a DRZ on there quite a few times in 1st place: http://www.worcsracing.com

I've seen guys race DRZ's in D36 (N. Calif) but I'm not sure how much $$$ they have into it. From what I've heard the major complaint is too soft suspension. Seems for about $500-$600 you can get new springs and a revavle to fix that.

Hand guards might be the only other MUST have for a first race.

Bald tires would be bad, but unless you think your winning the race, good rubber should be fine.

I did my first CC race on a completely stock WR400. It did better than I did. The best thing you can do to get faster doesn't cost a dime. Get in SHAPE!!

Good luck and buy some water pak if you don't have one.

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks to all that have offered info so far. I've been riding for 25 years now, and feel that I can hold my own both with technical and moto-x techniques. I realize the DRZ is not the most specialized bike to race, but the main thing I'm after is just to race! I'm needing some guidance on getting into the race and the specific stuff you usually find out after you've screwed the pooch several times, and DNF'd several more times. example waterproofing every connection as illustrated by Motoffroad and the Suzuki factory team (Suzuki team watered out,motoffroad didn't!).

Here's a list of Questions that come to mind:

can you ride the course before hand?

What is the dif between harescramble/enduro?

What do you want to pack with you for each?

Is there something specific to do/not do? (ex sign up early/or not)

What will I need in the pits that I'm sure to forget?

etc

thanks... Andrew

can you ride the course before hand? Enduro- Absolutly Not. Harescramble - Mostlilky yes (normaly do a pre ride before the start)

What is the dif between harescramble/enduro? Enduro is timekeeping race, Harescramble is everyone starts at the same time and you normaly do as many loops as you can in 2 hours

What do you want to pack with you for each? This varies from rider to rider. The best web link I can give you is our Distric 7/East Coast Enduro web site. It has lots of tips on what you need or could need. www.ecea.org

Is there something specific to do/not do? (ex sign up early/or not) Signing up early for an enduro is good if you and your buddies want to start on the same line or if you wish to be in a low number starting line. Plus the fee is usualy about $5 cheaper. For a hare scramble there is not many that I have seen that have any type of Pre-Entry

What will I need in the pits that I'm sure to forget?

etc Make sure to have Gas and bring a tool box to fix anything that may have broken For an enduro if you are realitively on time you will probably have about a 30-45 minit rest 1/2 way through that you can use to eat and do any mantance work. Also the usualy have designated Gas stops durring the race. If you have a pic crew (wife or buddy) they can bring the gas can and anything els that you may need (such as fresh goggles, gloves, some tools and such)

Check this site out: http://www.ecea.org/enduro/firsttime.shtml It may not be your district (this is for north east MD, PA, VA, NJ area) but the rules and tips are the same for most every type of enduro event across the country. They all use the same AMA rules.

Nobody races a DRZ?

what are you kidding...? It is true there are a lot of KTM's being raced but I see several DRZ's at the D36 races.

Ever hear of Mike Kiedrowski or Rodney Smith...? Both the Team Suzuki riders race the GNCC and the WORC Series alternating between their Yosh DRZ450's and FMF RM250's.

Ositech failed to mention he currently owns a full race effort 2002 Factory Yoshimura DRZ450 that was the Team Suzuki Offroad backup WORCS Series bike ridden by Rodney Smith...

Andrew, you are in District 7 check out: The AMA District Map

Here is the list of clubs in your area: District 7 Clubs!

Here is the Official AMA District 7 Web Site: http://www.amadistrict7.com/index.shtml

Later Bro!