Oil Temps

I'm ordering an "XR's Only" Temp dipstick and I was wondering what the following oil temps should be.

1. Startup - before I take off?

2. Normal Temp?

3. Temp when I should shut the bike down and let it cool?

Thanks,

michael

Well I don't know about you, but the trailer park I live in... I actually went riding in 90+ degree dry heat Saturday, and saw 250 on the dip stick. At those temps, I took it easy, and didn't "load" the engine. We stopped a few times to let them cool, and rode some more. I normally wait till I see 100 degrees on the stick before taking off. A good practice I have is to start the bike, and then put my gear on, buy the time I'm ready so is it. I check the oil level and see if I need to add any before I take off. I normally see temps around 200-210 on milder days of less than 80 degrees. If you have a bigger bore angine, the heat will harm it more. I was riding with a friend(Flynall) on his 416 and his temps were the same as my 440. I'm glad I invested in the "stick". That, and the Trail Tech Computer, were the best visual investments, that I purchased.

Coery and I did 70 miles of hard Sx linked by 2x on Saturday. We got to speed up on the 2x to help cool down (us and the bikes). The pool really did the trick in the middle of the day though!

Previous posts on this topic have stated that 250 is the start of the real gray zone, and 275 is the point where you really want to let it cool you want to do something to prevent it from getting hotter. Some racers will tolerate up to 300 for short periods but the wear and tear on the engine due to oil degradation is very real.

Try doing a search on the topic. You will probably come up with several posts by those that have far more experience that us...

Hope this helps a little.

RH

O.K. if any of you are looking for some great riding areas between Perris and Hemet, CA., give Flynall a PM, and he'll take you through all types of terrain. ๐Ÿ™‚ His 15 year old son Quentin will school you on his XR250 if you think you can shake him. Just ask carpeDRZ. :D I'm talking anywhere from fun-throwing-the-bike-sideways-speedway-style fire roads, to small "goat" trail single-tracks that you were glad you used the 14/48 combo to crawl down(which would be faster) with drop-offs(2 feet) that will need Roy to help you get the bike off of you, :D because you are laughing :D at the stupid decision to take the right instead of the left, :D knowing that you'd end up off the bike no matter which side you take, and no matter how long you look at it, and too tired to move, as the gasoline runs down your leg burning, and you thinking it would feel better if the gas was was on fire, on a hot summer day! He only lives about 1 mile from all of this riding with rocks, and washes galore. I know I should have posted this on the riding site, but it just came out like Turrets Syndrome. We even made our own trail as we scouted for a path around areas, just like Lewis and Clarke did years ago. :D Now I've gone way too far. He might even treat you to a beer or two(that's all he had) as you sit in the pool and his daughter and wife bring you pizza(Where was Kieth and his banjo? Far far away, and thank God for that!). :D

...but back to the issue at hand. If the oil in the reservoir gets to 250, imagine how hot the cylinder head is? :D Bigger oil coolers? Cut more of an opening out of the plactic surrounding the oil cooler? Add extended fins on the cylinder head?

Clarification:

1. All trails taken were described prior to riding them. Corey "signed up" for the nasty ones with full knowledge. He's a smart guy, why turn down a great adventure.

2. The special treatment from my wife and daughter had something to do with father's day... so don't get the idea that it is standard treatment, but I'm working on it. ๐Ÿ™‚

3. The real stash of beer was hidden. It's an old and well known method gleaned from the South.

4. The warm jacuzzi was a welcome relief from the day's workout. My wife and daughter were in it when we got home, Corey would have been a fool to not join us.

5. Keithco is hilarious and harmless around other people, but they won't let him in animal shelters anymore... :D

6. Corey made up the riding story, there is really no riding around here, none at at. All the good riding is far, far away from here... :D

RH

Oh yeah, to avoid the hijacking accusation, the oil temps climbed to 250f during the trials like slow stuff and cooled down to around 200f when we cruised to the next trail.. :D

What's all this talk of oil temps and the "stick"? I'm not familiar with these things as I own a modern dirtbike. :D

Corey, you know I was just taking it easy so as to build up Quentin's confidence, don't you? (It was probably the other way around. :D )

Are there any threads on the XR forum that don't get hijacked? ๐Ÿ™‚

OK stupid question time. I was looking at the oil temp dipstick, for the xr250, on XR's website and it looks like this goes in the side of the engine not actually where the dipstick goes. So does it replace the dipstick or a drain bolt.

Thanks

That is a picture of the old one I believe, the one I got from XR's only replaces the dipstick on frame. Has a punch hole with red somin or other in it to read oil level. that red stuff fades off, but the punch hole is easy enough to see. Def get one, they rock. ๐Ÿ™‚

They make two types of thermometers oral and ๐Ÿ™‚,but the one that goes in the XR frame simply replaces the stock dipstick. I haven't looked at the XR's Only site lately, but if you saw one mounted in the engine, it would be for a XR200 or smaller because thats where their stock dipstick is located.

They are an excellent tool to ensure that the engine doesn't fry do to a partially clogged jet or simply to lean jetting. If my gauge reads above 275f, I change my oil after that ride.

RH

RH