Things to know about kawasakis?

I am going to get the 2011 Kx250f and im planning on racing it as a B rider. As some of you may know from my last post, I had a major problem with my previous honda do to a lack of maintenance. I want to know some stuff, that is extremely important about Kawasakis. If you guys could please help me out, it will be much appreciated. I have a few things i would like to ask and if i miss out on important things please feel free to add in .

What is the best oil to run in the bike? Oil Filters?

Air filter? Air Filter oil?

I know to clean and oil air filter every ride, but how often do you guys replace them?

What are some things that need to be serviced especially with Kawis. Whats more sensitive?

With this bike, i plan on changing the oil every ride, and the filter every 2 rides.

Thanks So much for all your help!

Josh

Edited by Jagerbom9

I know to clean and oil air filter every ride, but how often do you guys replace them?

What are some things that need to be serviced especially with Kawis. Whats more sensitive?

With this bike, i plan on changing the oil every ride, and the filter every 2 rides.

Josh

Just ride it! But yeah, keep on oil changes and air filter and you should be fine with ANY four stroke. I have had four stroke yamahas, ktms and kawasakis since about 2000 and just do regular maintenance and you will be golden. Oil is your preference, I have used rotella-T for ages and I run a stainless filter. Others hate both of those, but for me they work. I also run notoil filters and cleaner with no problems, but once again others hate those. Just run what you can get readily from your dealer and it will work. I know this may not help you, but everyone has different opinions on what to do to the bike. Grease it up when you get it and go.😏

keep ur air filter clean!! i use the maxima pro filters, their cheap like 10 bucks and their oiled with maxima FFT, damn good oil!!! i clean them about 10 times, then pitch and get a new one. i just recently switched oils, i was running bel ray thumper 10w-40, now im running rotella-T 15w-4o since i just installed a rekluse clutch it recomends it. it seems like very good oil and cheap enough to change every 5 hours.

Depending a bit on how hard I run my engine I change the oil at 3-4 hours, 5 at the max.

I also run a Scotts stainless oil filter that I clean every third to fourth oil change. The filter is on it´s 4´th season.

I use No-toil filters and their oil and cleaner. It has worked well for a couple of seasons now. I have 4 filters and clean them all at once.

I changed out the original piston after 52 hours and it looked good. It´s just that the material can fatigue after many hours and the piston can crack without warning.

I don´t even check my valves anymore, they are always at the same clearance.

Get one of those airbox covers for when you wash the bike, it helps keeping the airbox clean.

I also wipe the frame and plastic pieces in the airbox with brake cleaner before and after installing a filter, this will eliminate the chance of knocking any hidden dirt into the carb.

I would also recommend an aluminum skid plate and engine guards, it can save a lot of money in the long run. I run radiator braces too.

Here are some threads I made with close-up pics of my then new -09:

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=702331&highlight=

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=713726&highlight=

https://thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784717&highlight=

Good luck if you decide to get a Kawi, I´m sure it won´t disappoint you.

I am going to get the 2011 Kx250f and im planning on racing it as a B rider. As some of you may know from my last post, I had a major problem with my previous honda do to a lack of maintenance. I want to know some stuff, that is extremely important about Kawasakis. If you guys could please help me out, it will be much appreciated. I have a few things i would like to ask and if i miss out on important things please feel free to add in .

Thanks So much for all your help!

Josh

I run actevo castrol. It works pretty good for shifting and I dont feel any slipping or anything and my piston lasted a very long time!

Buy two twin airs. one for the bike and one for the shelf so your filter changes are seamless. I use Belray filter oil, and it has not given me a single problem with dirt, even after a 80 mile, dusty dez race Not a spec in the air box. Make sure to put a nice bead of grease around the filter 'gasket'

If you want to do a real favor, buy a reusable Scotts SS oil filter, they are so much better than paper and you dont have to buy a new one for a long time.

Grease every single bearing on that bike. all the way from the swingarm bolt to the triple trees. and every other important moving bearing. Double check the torques of every bolt that is labeled in the manual. There is a sticky on what to do to a new bike at the top of this FORUM

Okay thank you asg and DK for all the input. I am going to get a kawi, i got a deal for a team ride at this local dealer so i am almost positive i am going to take up the deal. Once i get the bike ill post picks up right away. And after how many hours, should i check the Top end and replace some parts ?

You would be better off switching your oil change and filter intervals. Oil doesn't get dirty like an air filter does.

I use Valvoline VR1 20w-50 Racing oil. Used it for years with no problems. Stock oil filters work fine. I have about 4 twin-air filters and I use maxima filter oil, I can't even remember the name of it (i've been injured for 3 months now and haven't even looked at my bike).