Do hand guards help protect levers

Hi all, simple enough question. do hand guards help protect levers from break during little tips. im talking bout the kind that just attach bars NOT the type the connect back to the bar ends.

im just getting tired of spending 30 buck a pop on levers when hand guards cost the same amount. ๐Ÿ˜

thanks

i got the $59 tusk ones w the have the aluminum bark busters that go back to the bars and save many, many levers, my buddy had the ones that didnt wrap around and all they helped was to block wind and some vines, i wrecked mine and didnt have any complications other than a scrape due to them

ok sorry i guess in not being clear i DO NOT want the full wrap ones i ride MX alot and ive heard too many horror stories about them.

but thanks for the info anyway, i guess the hand only ones dont help protect the levers that much.

purchase a set of ASV C3 folding levers. i spent $150 on mine, went on my 05' wr250f. i am very happy with them, and you get your money's woth. the clutch perch very thick, and the hot start is metal and moved to the bottom, out of harms way. hope this helps.

purchase a set of ASV C3 folding levers. i spent $150 on mine, went on my 05' wr250f. i am very happy with them, and you get your money's woth. the clutch perch very thick, and the hot start is metal and moved to the bottom, out of harms way. hope this helps.

i too run the asv levers,i also race mx.

asv is the way to go

I've found that I rarely break levers with just mx style hand guards on, it could be a coincidence though. You can buy folding levers like ASV's, or you can buy outlaw racing levers which are like $8 a piece and are pretty luch like stock lever. These have really impressed me with their quality for the price.

I too have heard stories about getting an arm caught in your barkbusters, but I will say this:

Times I've gotten an arm caught in my barkbusters: 0

Times my barbusters saved multiple broken fingers/levers: 1000000

That's right, one million times. At the very least three. That's three broken hands, and countless levers. I think I'll take those odds. However I don't race mx, just woods/harescrambles. I've only been to the track once.

I too have heard stories about getting an arm caught in your barkbusters, but I will say this:

Times I've gotten an arm caught in my barkbusters: 0

Times my barbusters saved multiple broken fingers/levers: 1000000

That's right, one million times. At the very least three. That's three broken hands, and countless levers. I think I'll take those odds. However I don't race mx, just woods/harescrambles. I've only been to the track once.

I'm with you on that. I broke a few levers in my time. Then I installed bark busters on my second bike I had back in the 90's. Zero broken levers since. Bark busters have gone on all of my bikes since. Also Zero stuck arms/body parts. I have never ever seen or personally heard of someone getting their arm stuck in their bark busters. Seems ridiculous to me.

I have run bark busters in MX and XC events except AMA sanctioned MX races they make us take them off. I guess they don't like old XC guys using them to ram folks lol. Never had any issue in a get off with arm or hand getting hung up. Have had trees smack me and push the hand guard back into the lever. You have to find a rock and make a quick repair.

rotate your levers slightly downwards, cut the levers so they are only as long as you HAVE to have them (or purchase shorty levers), and leave the levers slightly loose so when you drop your bike they rotate instead of snapping

I can take any of my bikes including my sport bike and kick it over on either side and not snap a lever, hundreds of times over and over ๐Ÿ˜

... leave the levers slightly loose so when you drop your bike they rotate instead of snapping

I've actually tried putting a bit of teflon plumber's tape under the clamps. I can't yet say for sure whether I like it or not...