2009 CRF450R - Hard Starting - Might be Cam Timing - HELP

Hi guys

I have read every thread with respect to the hard starting issues everyone is having with this bike. It is a real pain in the butt.

There are all kinds of theories on how to start the thing, and I have tried them all. Bottom line - it does not like to start when it is cold.

The bike is brand new - less than 30 mins and has the decomp update.

I checked the Cam Timing using the flywheel cam timing mark. It appears to be out just a little bit. Moving the cam 1 tooth is too big of an adjustment.

How do you adjust the cam timing if the adjustment required is less than 1 tooth on the cam sprocket???

Could this be the source of the starting issue? The timing is not out that much.

Thanks guys,

Rob W

Edited by mxer701

Man,, ,,,, I am with you on this one. Our 09 has 15 hours on it and it sucks to start it PERIOD !!!!!!! When it was brand new it started in about 5 kicks or so. Now in about 20 Plus.We just put the new fuel filter kit in and wouldn`t you know !! Nothing !!! still sucks ! Like you we have tried every possible starting procedure with no results better than the other. SO PLEASE Some body come up with the answer or even an idea on who to call.

Thanks

Put a new spark plug in. Before I was going to get all scientific on my bike. I first changed the spark plug and now its like a dream come true. Three kicks at the most while cold.

Try it out. Told the same to a guy at the track and it changed. The attitude of the starting proceedure as well

Put a new spark plug in. Before I was going to get all scientific on my bike. I first changed the spark plug and now its like a dream come true. Three kicks at the most while cold.

Try it out. Told the same to a guy at the track and it changed. The attitude of the starting proceedure as well

Jay,

How many hours did you have on your old spark plug?

i bought a new 09 - started like crap from day 1. dealer said it was just new and would get better as it broke in. Wrong! i replaced the fuel filter - then fuel pump - no luck. new plug - no luck. Checked valves - all good. Even remapped it myself, bought the software so i could do some trial & error - this helped but i could never get it to start the same each time. Then i bought a cam from a 2010 - this made a different bike out of it. It would now start in 3 kicks or less everytime. Hot cold upside down - didn't matter. i can email you the map i wrote and you can try that, but i would pop for the cam. Let me know if you need any help.

KT

tucker built motorsports

270-402-2843

I have the same exact problem...bike has maybe 6-7 hrs on it and I cannot get it to start cold at all. I checked valve clearance,cam timing,fuel filter,put in a clean air filter and even changed the oil. This is crazy. I have spark and the fuel pump is working for sure. I pulled the fuel line off the pump and gave the bike a couple of kicks and it shot fuel out of the line. Called three dealers and everyone is saying the same thing..."ya they are hard to start". Hard to start is one thing but 20-30 kicks and still no start?? Something is not right.

i bought a new 09 - started like crap from day 1. dealer said it was just new and would get better as it broke in. Wrong! i replaced the fuel filter - then fuel pump - no luck. new plug - no luck. Checked valves - all good. Even remapped it myself, bought the software so i could do some trial & error - this helped but i could never get it to start the same each time. Then i bought a cam from a 2010 - this made a different bike out of it. It would now start in 3 kicks or less everytime. Hot cold upside down - didn't matter. i can email you the map i wrote and you can try that, but i would pop for the cam. Let me know if you need any help.

KT

tucker built motorsports

270-402-2843

My buddy has an 09 and has had the same problem. If you could email me that map that would make his day if it worked. Thanks

Figured my hard starting issue out...It was a dirty or bad connection at the IAT sensor. Cleaned it with contact cleaner and the bike fired on the 4th kick. Simple fix but just took awhile to figure it out. Rode it all weekend and it started without a problem for 3 days of riding.