KTM 450 EXC for the street?

Hi everyone,

This is my first post here an I am looking for some advice. I'm an experienced rider but have been without a bike for a while. I am looking at enduros and supermotos. I am thinking of going with a KTM450exc or CRF450 for street use. I would like to hear from some others about what their experience has been using these for around town usage. I know they aren't going to do well on the highway and don't plan on using them for long high speed rides.

I also would like to hear about what others have done to prep these for street use. Any cooling mods, electric fans, etc etc....... Also any suggestions on lighting or cooling kits?

Thanks a million!!

you can plate crf450's in new jersey?

The 2007+ ktm 450 exc and exc-r are 50 state legal so no problem with those, the 07 has rfs the 08+ have the new single cam motor

I have an 08, I think the ktm fan is a must have, I do not ride at night so I have no idea if the stock lighting is any good

very small oil capacities, so frequent oil changes is a pain, 15 hour intervals, separate oil for crank/top end like the crf450 has

Yes, I have seen some street titled CRF 450's. I also made a mistake, it isnt an EXC it is a 450 SX-F.

I own a plated 525exc (570) and a 450 sx-f

You dont want a DS SX-F, 4 speeds (unless a 09 or newer) dont do well.

Spring for the EXC, 6 speed WR trans w/ a low 1st and a 6th capable of 100

I can speak from experience on this one! I own a plated CRF450X, with the money and time I had to put into this bike I could have just bought a KTM 450 EXC and been done with it. The DS kit and wheels, tires really start to add up after a while. Save yourself some greif and spring for the KTM thats already road ready.