Sign in to follow this  

09 Engine Destroyed Pics

man i feel your pain for sure ive got 2 blown rmz 450 motors both junk an one yz 250f the cases were ok on that one though all in the last 8 months

I had the same happen to my 08 in the dunes. We were going slowly on a 10 mile trip and then it just popped with no signs even started fine the whole trip. Think i might have overfilled my engine oil, could that maybe be the cause?

The bike popped as he was on his way to the face of the camel back and just skidded up the take off ramp stopping at the top.

WOW...that's scary. I'm glad it didn't go in the air....my condolences on the motor....that's just crazy.

You guys must ride the piss out of your bikes!

I can tell you that when my friends and i ride. We ride the hell out of them. That's what they were designed to do. Motocross is grueling on man and machine even with proper maintanance. This story is truly sad and oh so common. Unfortunately it's the same fate so many of my friends have had. My younger friend has currently destroyed 3 engines for his 09 yz250f "this season alone" He is a fast B rider and maintaines his bike well. The money he and his father spend on engines is alarming. If you ride often and race hard it's simply a matter of time from what i have seen.

Destroying three engines in a single season isn't normal at that level. If your young friend is abusing his machinery to such a degree then he's likely not extracting the best performance out of it and should consider changing his riding style IMHO. That, or move to a 450.

Destroying three engines in a single season isn't normal at that level. If your young friend is abusing his machinery to such a degree then he's likely not extracting the best performance out of it and should consider changing his riding style IMHO. That, or move to a 450.

i must agree i dont even think RC or any of the top pro's destroy 3 motors a season they may use more than three but the ones they discard are still working and are more than likely still running maybe not the greatest or maybe even need minor repair

I had the same happen to my 08 in the dunes. We were going slowly on a 10 mile trip and then it just popped with no signs even started fine the whole trip. Think i might have overfilled my engine oil, could that maybe be the cause?

Someone confirm that overfilling your engine oil is bad. I almost always add a little more than recommended.

Well after seeing that I might have to reconsider trading my 07 450x for the 09 450r I was looking at at the dealer

Me too....:ride:

What are you guys talking about?? You're trying to tell me, lets say when your bike hits 50 hr's you would have spent over $5,000 just to keep it in running condition?? Or are you guys wadding up all the time & buying bars, levers, plastics & sub-frames once a month? My bike has 146 hrs on it & has had 1 top end job done($550), 4 suspension services($1,600), 8 sets of tires($1,000), 1 pair of Twin Wall bars($90), 3 pairs of grips($51), a couple of air filters($55),Air filter oil ($100) new oil & filter change every 10 hrs($230), 2nd chain & sprocket set(Renthal Twin Ring & O-ring chain..$250) plus gasoline..about 2 gallons per hr($1,000) & I'm at about $4926..so lets call it $5,000...at 146 hrs which is $34.24 per hr..alot less than $100 per hr. What am I missing?

What are you guys talking about?? You're trying to tell me, lets say when your bike hits 50 hr's you would have spent over $5,000 just to keep it in running condition?? Or are you guys wadding up all the time & buying bars, levers, plastics & sub-frames once a month? My bike has 146 hrs on it & has had 1 top end job done($550), 4 suspension services($1,600), 8 sets of tires($1,000), 1 pair of Twin Wall bars($90), 3 pairs of grips($51), a couple of air filters($55),Air filter oil ($100) new oil & filter change every 10 hrs($230), 2nd chain & sprocket set(Renthal Twin Ring & O-ring chain..$250) plus gasoline..about 2 gallons per hr($1,000) & I'm at about $4926..so lets call it $5,000...at 146 hrs which is $34.24 per hr..alot less than $100 per hr. What am I missing?

Thanks for doing the math I was thinking about it in head as well! I wonder if people are factoring in the cost of the bike. That would be one of the only ways to get the number close $100/ hour.

Myself as well...

At any rate that totally sucks about the bike going the way it did. But honestly, out of all the bikes I have owned Hondas are always leaps and bounds ahead of the rest when it comes to quality and reliability (minus the pre 06 450R valve issues), how common is this issue? Is it about as common as the bearing issues in Suzukis (2 and 4 strokes) and Kawasakis (2 strokes? This is honestly the first time I've seen this issue and doubt it's all too common unless Honda has suddenly outsourced certain parts out to Chinese manufacturers (ala Wiseco connecting rods).

Not to argue but that is a pretty bold statement. In todays market they are so close in quality I don't think any are leaps and bounds ahead of the other. As far as the quality of parts on the bike I personally think KTM and Yamaha are stronger in that deparment with Honda a close 3rd. Performance wise I'd say they are all right there. A big issue when I had my Honda was valve adjustments, I just got tired of doing them. I have had twice the number of hrs on my Yamaha vs my Honda and they have not moved once (checked every 20 hrs). If you check the Yamaha forum you will see most are getting between 300-400 + hrs on a set of valves and I know Honda could install some of equal quality, they just choose not to. To the OP that sucks but reality is that could have happened to any brand and does.

Umm, nobody said anything about racing professionally did they? Or multiple bikes. They were talking one single machine, We weren't talking "Bike costs per hr of Pro Racing". It was some guy bitching about how much his Honda was costing him to ride. Of coarse pro racing will cost thousands of dollars per year like you said with 4 bikes, a box van, gas & insurance for the van plus maintenance then you have to eat, train, test & try to get some sleep somewhere when you're on the road & all the other things you stated, but I bet 99% of the people in this forum are weekend racers like my friends & I are. Do you race professionally?...Full time?? I don't mean a fast expert with some sponsors who collects contingency money at select races who also has a day job or spends daddy's money...I mean the real pro's who all they do is race all of the AMA Supercross & Motocross races & try to make some of the Arenacross races & hit some regional events when they can & the only money they make comes from their sponsors & race results on their bike....that's a pro rider in my book...& if you are, I respect you.

As far as the quality of parts on the bike I personally think KTM and Yamaha are stronger in that deparment with Honda a close 3rd.

My observation also. It's been one of my few gripes with my CRF.

For all the haters, I just did a complete rebuild on my 2003 CRF450R this past winter. Over 220 hours of engine time since new, still had the OEM piston, rings and lower end. I replaced the piston with a JE, replaced the valves with OEM and had the valve seats recut. Put it all back together with the stock crank and she runs like a dream...

Lesson to learn is if they are ridden HARD...They WILL break ! End of story...

Hay, you asked and I told you. I'm pretty sure even Eddie is referring to what it cost to run or race a bike.... I understand you are a part time rider and you probably don't spend that much on riding, but you asked and I told you what it costs.... I no longer race pro as I'm 54 and have a MUCH better paying job.... So I ride part time but it still adds up my friend....

Yeah, I get what you're saying but the original post said NOTHING about professional racing & that's what my reply was about. You should have stated that at a pro level you could easily exceed $100 per hr..then I would have understood you better. :ride:

my 04 crf450r did the same thing, but was more centered, took out both L&R cases, and sidecovers. But I had the stock crank in it and was racing my second season of supermoto.. She was way over due.. I would guess about 2000 hours of mostly trail bashing, and some supermoto at the end.. I feel your pain! I found a motor on e-bay (bottom end) for $600.00 bucks. Ended up having a blown crankseal, but that's ok it was only $600.00...