Question about yz250f under water

I missed a turn at the Battlefield enduro yesterday and ended up in 4 feet of water. My bike died. After getting my bike out, I couldn't move my kick start. I waited 4 hours to get pulled out of the woods. I thought I siezed my bike, but my kick start wouldn't move because of the water in the cylinder. I took the plug out and kick it a bunch of times. I then put a new plug in and tried to start it. It will run but every time I give it throttle, it stops. I drained the oil and the carb. I'm wonderring if there is anything else I should do. Thanks,

David

daverehm@charter.net

If you drained all the water, let it dry. Did you check the airbox and filter, if theyre still wet theyll restrict airflow. Carb may still have some residual water in the 'nooks and crannies'. May have water in exh. pipe also. pull off and check.

I changed the air filter and cleaned out the air box...I have not even looked at the exhaust.

I drained the carb from the bottom. Do I need to take it apart? I figured removing the screw on the bottom and letting the gas run through it, it would drain any and all water. Is this correct?

Im not sure, therer are many little spaces in there that could hold one drop of water, and that could be a problem. If you just pulled the drain plug, there could be water in the top of the carb that didnt flow out. Let it dry for a couple days, or take a hair dryer on low and run some warm air through it to speed up the process.

Dave -

You are going to have to clean out the carb. Look at the 250FAQ ( www.thumperfaq.com ) as Rick has spelled it out very well.

I drowned mine the first year I had it. At the time, it behaved exactly as you say. One sand particle in the water can block some of the passegeways in the carb - best to give it a thorough cleaning.

Also - change your oil 3 or 4 times, running the engine gently between oil changes. If the milkshake is still there after 4 oil changes - you may need to approach getting the water out of your crankcase with kerosene or something...