Gearing question

Hi there.2003 DRZ running stock 15/44 gearing.Never off road it but due to relocating to another work place my commute is either motorway or fast(ish) A road.

Would the bike pull 15/42 gearing ok?Just looking for a little more `relaxed` cruising speed on the motorway.cheers

I run 15/41 on my DRZ400SM, did 1350 miles on it in 2 days. Handled anything up to 75 just fine. Your bike will pull the 15/42 gearing fine, but will be less wheelie happy.

Edited by Z3n

Please explain how running a higher gear ratio will make the bike less wheelie happy.

My comment on 15/42 was in relation to his gearing, not mine ­čśĆ

I'm on a SM (although I have dirt wheels) so there's not a direct corollary in the gearing changes.

Hi there.2003 DRZ running stock 15/44 gearing.Never off road it but due to relocating to another work place my commute is either motorway or fast(ish) A road.

Would the bike pull 15/42 gearing ok?Just looking for a little more `relaxed` cruising speed on the motorway.cheers

Is your engine stock?? Got any performance mods??.

Do you have a 17 or 18" rear wheel...

These are things you need to take into consideration when thinking about going taller on your gearing...

The more power your engine is producing ,the taller you can have you gearing..

Most std bikes can comfortably run 3 teeth smaller on the rear sprocket..

If you want to go taller than that, you engine may need a little more HP ....­čśĆ