400ex broken axle carrier?

i have a 400ex and when i ride the left rear wheel clonks around so i put it up on the jack and the left wheel is able to move around. so i looked around and next to the sprocket there a broken casting. this is the axle carrier right?anyone else ever break one? is it hard to put in a new one? if i continue to ride it will it mess up something severe?

thanks

your probably seeing what's left of the bearing race, I would take it apart and remove the bearing races or what's left of them, if the carrier is ok just put in some new bearings, it's a pretty common failure, lotta load on those bearings especially if you jump it.

if the carrier is shot, replacements complete with bearings are not terrible expensive

http://www.amazon.com/HONDA-BILLET-BEARING-CARRIER-BC-H-400EX/dp/B002DPYHTK

it may look broken like this, that's the old outer race still in the carrier, use a slide hammer to pull it out

dsc00329io0.jpg&t=1

im trying posting pictures of where its cracked to see if its the carrier or swing arm. but it wont let me. how do i post them? sorry for the bad pictures. is replacing the carrier a big job?

It can be tricky to get the axel bolt off. Some people I hear have to cut it off. I used Heat and a 4' Breaker bar and nothing. I finally got it off using a sludge hammer and tapping the wrench repeatedly and it finally came loose. On the TRX you must rotate the nuts downward towards the break caliper to remove the clip then turn the opposite way to remove them. Next will come off your brake disc w the removal of your right wheel spline etc. Refer to your manuel for you machine. Like I said the hardrst part was removing that nut and it tool about half a day to do so even after being soaked for 1day w wd40.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

yes it is your carrier between the sprocket and the swingarm the bearing carrier sticks out for chain adjustment it is not hard to fix but if you ride it like this you could mess up the axle or any other components on the axle, i bought a 400ex with a bad one which they must have ignored and it cost me $500 to fix everything. if you fix it now you shold have no trouble at all. i suggest a double row carrier they extend the life of the bearings. make sure it is double row and not just double wide bearings which does nothing at all

• 2 months later...

I did the rear bearings on my 400 ex last spring. Brake hub is splined. I always go to worldofpowersports.com and look up the parts diagrams. They are very helpful in figuring out how to disassemble and reassemble things. Good luck!