do all cr's do this? (pic)

this happens after you ride my 2001 cr 80 for about an hour, i use a whole can of engine degreaser to wash it and get all the carbon off but its back on after and hour riding it

0728101827-1.jpg

0728101827a.jpg

Need a new exhaust seal... (copper washer and rubber gaskets). Maybe even new springs. Pipe might be tweaked from a crash too, hard to tell from the pics.

Need a new exhaust seal... (copper washer and rubber gaskets). Maybe even new springs. Pipe might be tweaked from a crash too, hard to tell from the pics.

+1. That is not at all normal. We get zero blow back / leakage at the cylinder. Should be an easy fix as the previous poster outlined.

My brother's brand new 03' cr85 did it from the factory, my 04' cr85 did it when i bought it used and so did my 05' cr125 (previous owner tweaked the pipe a little). We used permatex gasket maker.

Rough job haha:

100_0199.jpg

It's on the exaust flange as well

When it's sealed that spooge is going to start spitting out the silencer and ruin your packing.

Pipes are not always straight, even from the factory. Good advice above. If everything is looking good and it still leaks, Red RTV works pretty well. I wouldn't just use the stuff instead of fixing the problem though.

My brother's brand new 03' cr85 did it from the factory, my 04' cr85 did it when i bought it used and so did my 05' cr125 (previous owner tweaked the pipe a little). We used permatex gasket maker.

Rough job haha:

100_0199.jpg

It's on the exaust flange as well

When it's sealed that spooge is going to start spitting out the silencer and ruin your packing.

i put some high temp silicon on but it didnt help, we have some gasket maker too i will try that

That is a lot.... Did you take it apart to add the RTV or just coat the outside? I only use the black for my CR500 and it holds for a couple months, then needs to be redone. May try some thin stove pipe...

Where in Iowa are you?

I took the pipe off degreased everything, took out the thin metal gasket type thing i guess (it was ate up on this one), and put the copper permatex high temp silicone/gasket maker on the exhaust flange from the engine and on the i.d. of the pipe. The outside stuff was mainly to be 100% that is was sealed. Only time i've had to redo it is when I take the pipe off and it's sealed good (not hard to take the pipe off, but it sticks to the surfaces). I try to let it sit for however long it says for it to cure before riding or anything.

mine did, but i just redid all the gaskets, and had my pipe redone, i had doozy of wreck and it tweeked it just enough to allow spooge to creep out and around my case. after new gaskets and a pipe readjusted it seemed to smooth the problem out. oh yeah and i re jetted and that helped a lot too

I'd flush the heck outta the inside of that pipe also before you slap it back on to get all the residual oil inside out or at least most of it, when the pipe gets hot with the return pulse on the 2 strokes it probably has a ton of residual oil inside of the pipe to make the mess worse

My son has the same bike - same year and all. We got a really good deal in part because of the same problem - I thought it just needed a new exhaust gasket, but I was wrong, I installed the new metal gasket, but it didn't seal tightly enough and we had the same trouble as you had. I used some red permatex gasket stuff - used quite a bit and let it sit for a day or so before starting the bike - worked like a charm. Be careful with your jetting - small steps go a long ways with these little engines...they seem to be more finicky than the bigger ones. Also, make sure your air filter is clean and isn't over-oiled...dirty or over oiled will restrict air flow and cause a rich condition.

Eric